SC-836 Air Shroud vs Active Coolers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyantist

Apr 5, 2017
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I just picked up a chassis to put together a new system. Came with a TQ backplane and an X8 motherboard, both of which I'm going to replace. This got me wondering how important the air shroud is. It didn't come with one. Is it something I should add to the list of things to get, or do they make much of a difference? Do they have much effect on temps using passive heatsinks? Is money possibly better spent on active coolers and no shroud? Since it's in my home, lowest possible noise output is always a factor as well. What has been your experience?

Thanks for any insight.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Is that the Noctua NH-U9DX?
Yes. On Xeon E5s.
Your questions can be answered with "It depends" :p
What mainboard do you want to use?
Something xeon d based? In that case get the shroud and a fan that you put on the heatsink (see Near silent powerhouse: Making a quieter MicroLab platform), this will give you the best results for cooling and noise.
  • I concur with the remark regarding cooling / noise and think that the air shroud with heatsinks is well engineered.
  • I did an extensive review of the passive heatsinks, Super Micro SNK-P0047AP4, and Noctua NH-D9DX i4 on X9 board with dual E5-2670 available here if you care to see how the three cooling solutions stack up against one another: CPU Cooling Comparison: Noctua NH-D9DX i4 / NH-D9L | SuperMicro SNK-P0048AP4 | Passive Heatsink
  • Disclaimer: Didn't read the cited article.

cyantist

Apr 5, 2017
Excellent write up. Thanks for posting it. This was exactly the information I was looking for. Very informative.

Reactions: svtkobra7

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Excellent write up. Thanks for posting it. This was exactly the information I was looking for. Very informative.
You are quite welcome and thanks for the compliment. I'm glad that my "quest" was able to help someone else. I found the results interesting, eh?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk