SBS - is it available for purchase for home network ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kappclark

Nov 1, 2019
I am wondering if there is a place that sells sbs 2011 -- I would like to put on home network ...I suspect there is nothing avail ... if so, does MS offer anything similar for SMB with 15 users ??

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
There is the Essentials license, but it depends on what you need from the server, if you're looking for exchange, then no, if you're just after AD and filesharing then yes.

kappclark

Nov 1, 2019
THX for the replies -- clearly the sbs2011 is no longer supported, and must get upgraded somehow .. the client would prefer the exchange feature, which I suspect is one reason they haven't done anything ... need to read the riot act about security etc ...

given the current state of sbs, what are the 'normal' migration paths ? Maybe run AD locally and hosted exchange via Office/Microsoft 365 ...

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
You could in principle take an ordinary Windows Server license and install all of the SBS roles on the same machine, bear in mind it's in no way a supported or smart setup. You'll get absolutely no help from Microsoft, should you need it.