Say Farewell to Putty as Microsoft adds an OpenSSH Client to Windows 10

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You need to use the new "control panel"/settings of windows 10, not the old "desktop control panel".

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Home edition or Pro/Enterprise?
Windows 10 Pro. Maybe because my PC's are domain joined this is managed on the server side?

EDIT: I just realized my PC is in fact still on 1703. I swore I updated it a while back. My bad. My branch is set to Current for Business.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Does this provide a PC-X server as well, likely not if I were a betting man. I think I'll stick w/ MobaXterm for the time being but this does indeed inspire some confidence that M$ is on the right track in some ways (ubuntu on windows, powercli for Linux, .net on Linux, ssh client/server) YEA!

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Does this provide a PC-X server as well, likely not if I were a betting man. I think I'll stick w/ MobaXterm for the time being but this does indeed inspire some confidence that M$ is on the right track in some ways (ubuntu on windows, powercli for Linux, .net on Linux, ssh client/server) YEA!
Plus 1 for MobaXterm. I use it every day for work and home.

Reactions: Patrick

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Not at all obvious how to set up & manage keys for password-less logins (I assume it has something to do with the "-i identity-file" option - but no description). Would be tough for me to use without this since I've disabled password based logins for SSH on most the the machines I care about.

Sticking with Putty for now...

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
When we get the full set of ssh + rsync that will be a winner.

I expect they had to add SSH for proper git support anyway

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
@T_Minus correct. I have a bash session open all the time on my Windows Workstation at work and it works well. This is how I'm actually mining AEON on that workstation. The only annoyance I have is that network shares do not show up.