Satadom on R720?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Loomaanaatii

Mar 15, 2017
Hi,

I'm looking to get a satadom for a R720 that's en route. I don't want to sacrifice a bay for a freenas boot drive.

From what I can tell it should work, there's a small power port next to the sata that looks like it has the same pinout as the satadom.
msedge_wL7lMT6RkS.pngmsedge_BcZzo3Eitq.pngmsedge_ZszTOx3sdx.png

I've done some googling and apparently the orange connector on the motherboard has 7th pin power specifically for satadoms? I can't find any documentation for dell r720s though.

Last edited:

Renat

Jun 8, 2016
You can easy buy it on eBay with cable for one or two satadom modules.
Power cable is installed in DVD jack.

Netapp uses it in Solidfire series.

p.s. this is not a solution for R720XD LFF: Dell just disabled these onboard slots (with a small notice in documentation)

Loomaanaatii

Mar 15, 2017
You can easy buy it on eBay with cable for one or two satadom modules.
Power cable is installed in DVD jack.

Netapp uses it in Solidfire series.

p.s. this is not a solution for R720XD LFF: Dell just disabled these onboard slots (with a small notice in documentation)
I ordered the R720 not the xD so I should be good right?
From my understanding I won’t even need a power cable if I plug it into the orange jack

Renat

Jun 8, 2016
I don`t remember and don`t see Orange jack (probably it`s very light and for me this one is white on picture).

New orange jack for power DOM appears in Supermicro X10 motherboards.
BUT DOM has to have ability to work with such port.
These DOMs (model) can be powered only by cable.

Loomaanaatii

Mar 15, 2017
I don`t remember and don`t see Orange jack (probably it`s very light and for me this one is white on picture).

New orange jack for power DOM appears in Supermicro X10 motherboards.
BUT DOM has to have ability to work with such port.
These DOMs (model) can be powered only by cable.
Yeah the video I was watching was demoing it with super micro boards. I’ll just get a DOM that has pin 7 power and a cable just in case

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
If you have a regular R720, why not replace the optical drive with a 2.5" SATA hot-swap bay and plug it into one of the SATA ports?

Loomaanaatii

Mar 15, 2017
If you have a regular R720, why not replace the optical drive with a 2.5" SATA hot-swap bay and plug it into one of the SATA ports?
I did some reading online and apparently, the SATA connection from the optical drive is severely limited in the I/O, do you know if this is true? I also found on Reddit that the size could be 12.5mm but when I look to order them they only come in 9mm and 12.7mm sizes

I found a nice adapter on eBay Universal 12.7mm SATA 2nd SSD HDD Hard Drive Caddy for DVD-ROM CD Optical Bay 34276887188 | eBay

boosthacker

Dec 21, 2013
Just wanted to say thanks for the link. This will be the perfect solution for my needs.

I did some reading online and apparently, the SATA connection from the optical drive is severely limited in the I/O, do you know if this is true? I also found on Reddit that the size could be 12.5mm but when I look to order them they only come in 9mm and 12.7mm sizes

I found a nice adapter on eBay Universal 12.7mm SATA 2nd SSD HDD Hard Drive Caddy for DVD-ROM CD Optical Bay 34276887188 | eBay