SATADOM cheap?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

I am looking for some SATADOM's to replace either USB sticks or SATA SSD's - simply to get rid of either cabling and USB from my machines, but I am quite surprised that even small SATADOM's (16GB) are that expensive.

Is this simply because
  • The market is small
  • People don't replace them
  • Because its a niche product and producers are ripping us off compared to a regular sized SATA SSD?

I would hate to pay 50+EUR for a 16GB SATADOM just because I can get a real SATA SSD with better performance, bigger and possibly same or better endurance for less.

Any hints on where to go look for good deals?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
This would not help , but give you idea
I am in US , Ebay
Innodisk 64GB SATADOM-MV 3ME Series w/ Connector, DESMV-64GD06RC1QC-B051

$19.5 + 3.5 shipping , discount on shipping for multi units.

I purchased 4 SATADOM from the above listing.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Supermicro branded ones seem to be expensive, but if you go with Innodisk (who is the OEM for Supermicro as far as I recall), they are reasonably priced on eBay. 32GB or 64GB ones can be had for $15-25.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I gave up on Satadoms due to regular freezes of the OS and failed reboots out of nowhere without making any changes. Experience comes from SM and Innodisk doms. I know others had not such issues and were/are still happy.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I gave up on Satadoms due to regular freezes of the OS and failed reboots out of nowhere without making any changes. Experience comes from SM and Innodisk doms. I know others had not such issues and were/are still happy.
That is not good, hopefully I will not experience such issues (fingers crossed)

Are all SATADOM's compatible with SuperMicro's yellow SATADOM ports so they don't require external power?

If I have to give the SATADOM power, then I haven't saved any cables in my machines.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Does the system have m.2 slots?
In Germany you could get a 16gb optane for 20€ or 128GB patriot ssd for 21€ (shipping not included)
I would hate to pay 50+EUR for a 16GB SATADOM just because I can get a real SATA SSD with better performance, bigger and possibly same or better endurance for less.
Maybe another point of view: sata doms don't take up 1(or 2 in case of redundancy) more valuable hdd bays.

(Inb4 just use the rear hdd kit from supermicro: supermiro has now some rear hdd/ssd kits that support nvme making these bays even more valuable)

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Does the system have m.2 slots?
In Germany you could get a 16gb optane for 20€ or 128GB patriot ssd for 21€ (shipping not included)

Maybe another point of view: sata doms don't take up 1(or 2 in case of redundancy) more valuable hdd bays.
Sorry no m.2 slots, and usually server boards only have one if they have one. And I need two for redundancy on my boot drives - im careful like that :)

Its not for a Supermicro chassis, just SuperMicro boards - and I could just have the disk lying in the chassis if I wanted to use normal disks - I want to get rid of cables if possible :)

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
These are the drives, slow - but hopefully they will just work inside my Supermicro boards without the power cable, since they have power built into the SATA connector according to the specs:

And its iSLC (MLC with a twist), so I can probably write on them until the end of time :)

And since I don't need the full 64GB size, I can under provision them and hopefully expand the longivity.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
You should use a freight forwarder. Shipping that to Europe would cost ~$17 via USPS.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
You should use a freight forwarder. Shipping that to Europe would cost ~$17 via USPS.
How? I have never done what - do you have one you can recommend?

And I guess I would have to "combine" a lot of purchases then, otherwise it would probably be just as expensive to ship?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Living in the US, I've never had to use one myself (I've actually provided that service to a number of people here on the forums), but I'm sure you can find a bunch with a quick Google search.

As for shipping costs, if you have multiple things that you're buying, then combining shipping will of course be cheaper, however, I quoted a price to just ship the SATA DOMs. USPS rate is $17.40 for a package up to ~250g to Europe. Seems eBay is gouging quite a bit.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Code:
Price    US $160.00
Postage    US $32.40
Import charges    US $54.48

Total charged to Paypal    US $246.88
You can say that again :)

And not only price gouging - they also have the nerve to call it "priority shipping" - where I have had packages from the UK take 14 days to arrive, when normal shipping takes less than a week.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I quoted a price to just ship the SATA DOMs. USPS rate is $17.40 for a package up to ~250g to Europe. Seems eBay is gouging quite a bit.
Yes, but I assume the forwarders would also take something to receive, repackage and ship out the package and handle the export/import declarations that is required - so it might not be much cheaper - but its definately worth considering.

Thanks for suggesting it.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Sure, there is a fee, but not that much. No need to repackage if you're not combining shipments. Also, it's called "priority" because that's the name of the actual service offered by USPS: Mail & Shipping Services | USPS

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Sure, there is a fee, but not that much. No need to repackage if you're not combining shipments. Also, it's called "priority" because that's the name of the actual service offered by USPS: Mail & Shipping Services | USPS
Just looked at myus.com - and they want $60/year or 9.99/month - so you have to buy a lot of stuff in the US before it pays off I think. I assume other forwarders have similar fees.
But its definately worth considering if I am dying to buy something and they don't want to ship to Europe.