SATA SSD recommendations for 9361-8i card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jefferds

Sep 27, 2022
Brazil
As the title says, I would like to ask for recommended Sata SSD's that are guaranteed to work with the aforementioned card.
I ask for suggestions because the compatibility list provided by broadcom for the 9361-8i (updated to latest firmware) show devices that are a little outdated.
My shortlist:
- Intel DC s3610 from aliexpress (Shows as compatible on the list)
- Kingston DC500m (at least is guaranteed to be brand new)
Any other brand/model I should look for? Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Server grade equipment is expensive in my country, so I really need to make sure they're compatible with my raid card.
For reference, the card was not compatible with 4x consumer grade WD Blue SA510 sata ssds we had at the office, showing them as "Unconfigured Bad", but some 11 years old spinning rust by seagate worked just fine, they're set up as raid10 as we speak.
So that's the challenge, SATA SSD's that are guaranteed to work with the 9361-8i card.

Thanks in advance.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
SATA SSDs will work, but in order to TRIM them properly they'll need to support RZAT or DRAT. S3610 (or S3600, S3500, etc.) do very nicely. I'm not sure I'd trust SSDs from AE, but I empathise with living somewhere without availability of used parts.

jefferds

Sep 27, 2022
Brazil
(I'm not experienced with broadcom controller errors)
This looks like the controller detects partitions/data on the devices and "hides" it from the os.
Brodacom has a post how to change the configuration: One disk is Unconfigured bad. How can I set it to unconfigured good without shutting down?
Yeah, unfortunately all methods to change from UB to UG returns an error. The drives are definitely uncompatible, highly likely for the reasons @Sean Ho mentioned in his reply, they don't support Trim features like DRAT or RZAT, which LSI controllers care so much about.
We're going with DC500m's by kingston, they work fine with Dell's H730p PERC card (LSI SAS3 3108 RoC), so will most likely work on our standalone LSI 9361-8i standalone card.