Sata III mirroring in ESXI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tweak3D

Jan 18, 2015
so, I bought one of the lenovo ts440's and have already upgraded quite a bit. I have a raid 10 with an LSI 9260-8i and an intel i350-t4. The only issue I am having with my system, is that I would really really like the main OS SSD to be mirrored in a raid 1 type situation, but I don't want to sacrafice too much speed. Unfortuantely, the motherboard only has a pcie 2.0 x1 and a legacy pci slot left. I've been looking into USB 3.0 2.5in raid 1 enclosures to possibly mount internally and port multipliers that support sata 3 so my 2 mirrored ssd's will be able to maintain their speeds while gaining mirroring.

Having a hard time finding anything though. Lots of stuff for Sata 2, so i'm curious, has anyone else seen any or come up with any solutions for this kind of problem? I'd prefer an internal solution if possible. I have an empty 5.25 and like 3 or 4 PCI slots that the motherboard doesn't reach.

Thanks,

Justin

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
You will get 5gbit from the Pcie slot which is not enough. This is where Vmwarez bites you as you have no ability for software raid with the Intel ICH. Not a biggy as you can probably hack together a script to ship off your images nightly and Vmwarez only configuration option is On/Off.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
any thoughts on something like this?

SSDMR (Dual mini-SATA to SATA RAID Adapter)

dual msata to sata 3. Lots of options out there, just found them, but not sure about how well they work. Looks like they may be a good option, minus needing 2 buy a new ssd.
It depends on how they work also. If they show up to the Intel controller as a single SATA drive you would be OK. If they show as a RAID controller, there is a good chance ESXi support has a lower chance of being available.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
RaidON has this SATA 3, but my understanding is that speed difference between 2 and 3 is not really that great. If you just want to mirror, you could look at a internal or external mirror/embedded raid like this, they have cheaper SATA 2 versions.

RAIDON-GR2660-B3-RAID