"SATA" drive with SAS interface - confused

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
I bought a WD Gold 14TB SATA 3.0 6Gb hard drive, only to see that its interface looks more like a SAS drive. So now I'm wondering what I need to buy in order to use it. I was planning to connect it to my SAS card. I have a breakout cable for SATA drives, but I'm guess I'm going to need some type of adapter to connect the SATA data and SATA power cables to this drive.Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.11.45 AM.png

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Yup, if you're plugging up to a HBA with 8087 sockets, then something along the lines of:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Looking at that picture closely, I see it has the dual-port pins on the connector. It appears these could very well actually be the same hardware as the 12G SAS models, or simply cost-cut by rolling out the same controller board with different firmware instead.

Last edited:

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Thanks... I bought this drive to expand storage in my unRAID setup, which consists of 2 SATA drives connected with this cable. If I recall, I CAN use SAS cables for SATA drives... My concern would be if changing out the current cable for a new one would somehow mess up my existing setup. I'm thinking no. unRAID has you select the drives for your storage pool, so unless the cable wasn't reading the drive properly, I should be fine making the switch to one of your suggested options, right?

Reactions: Dreece