SATA cables for SuperMicro backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zogthegreat

Jan 20, 2019
Hi everyone!

I have a SuperMicro X8DTT-F that I am using for a project. Yes, yes, I know, I know, there is newer, prettier, faster hardware out there, but I already have this gear and I really don't want to spend the money on new equipment when what I have does the job.

The motherboard came with a BPN-827ADP-X8 SATA backplane that I am trying to find cables for. Does anyone know where I can find the proper cables or provide a part number?

Thanks!

zog

Chankster

Mar 9, 2015
Are you trying to use this motherboard on its own? These boards were originally intended to be used in a multinode chassis where your adapter board slots into the midplane. To easily make it work properly you'd need the midplane and power boards listed in the link above.

zogthegreat

Jan 20, 2019
Are you trying to use this motherboard on its own? These boards were originally intended to be used in a multinode chassis where your adapter board slots into the midplane. To easily make it work properly you'd need the midplane and power boards listed in the link above.
Hi Chankster,

Yes, I'm using this as a stand alone system. However, I already modified a PSU for this purpose and the board runs fine. Although, if you had the part numbers for the midplane and power boards, it might be fun to try to incorporate it into my project. I tried Googling for them, but no luck.

(EDIT) Just to clarify, I have been using this system for about the last 2 years, mainly for compiling code. I have 2 X's Xeon E5645 and 64gb of ECC memory. The reason that I like this board is that the Xeon E5645's only draw 80w at max, which is the lowest TDP that I can find on a Xeon CPU, (I know that the L5640 will draw on 60w, but I don't want "L" CPU in my server board).

Last edited:

zogthegreat

Jan 20, 2019
OK, now I understand what you were saying. I've never used the card, I have always hooked my hard drives straight to the motherboard. Now that I understand that the mid plane is where the connections for the drives are, I think that I will go with a decent RAID controller. It's been awhile since I used a hardware RAID card, I usually use soft RAID. Is there a inexpensive, (relatively speaking,), that you could recommend? I have a 16x PCI-E 2.0 slot on my motherboard that I can install it in.