SAS9265-8i - LSI 2208 based HBA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
OK so new to server building - setting up a home media server/camera base/? device.

Using a HP Z420 box as the backbone - Xeon E5 2690, 32gb ram or more, etc.

Bought a item labeled as a LSI logic SAS9265-8i controller that was labeled as new in box - DELL OEM.

I haven't gotten it yet but the price was good - considering prices today. Should have built this out last year.

Anyway I keep seeing conflicting info and I see alot of good info here. So I'm hoping someone with knowledge/experience on these cards can help a noob out.

If I read the internet right - this card will let me put SATA drives on it and supply SATA III or 6gb/s max bandwidth to them. My goal here is to start with 4 - 3tb hitachi ultrastor Sata III 7200 RPM drives. And setup ZFS running TrueNAS. with SSD's working on the mobo ports.

Flashing the card is where I think I might have an issue - what rom file do I need and where do I get one to flash it to IT mode. Do I read correctly that some 2208 based cards don't need a flash and instead have a bios setting? (maybe the wrong term)

anyway thought I would start a post - my searches didn't get very far.

Thank you in advnace.