SAS846A & SAS disk @Sata Port - (does not work, as expected)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Since I just got a -A backplane as part of my 846 setup and I wanted to use some of the many slots for onboard esx purposes I got myself a reverse breakout cable and connected it to my x10sri's (c612) sata ports.

Now the only disks I had already fitted into trays where a bunch of SAS drives (one disk, one ssd) so without really thinking i moved them to the onboard slots (I am used to those being connected to HBAs where it does not matter whether the disk is SAS or SATA).

So now I found that those SAS disks (on onboard SATA ports) are actually found in ESX, I created a datastore and copied a VM to it...?

Is that expected behaviour? It was totally news to me;)
I assume it is thanks to the -A backplane, but are those disks safe to use this way;)?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm, can't really recreate after reboot and shuffle ... So I assume user error (disk mixup) for now - will try to have a closer look tomorrow

Edit: Yes, confusion of channel order on -A backplane. Counting starts at bottom not top...

Last edited: