SAS it-mode external (6g or 12g) with temperature reporting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have a HPE DL325 Gen10 Plus V2 and I'm using this in my homelab so noise is a major concern. Thankfully this unit ramps down to 13% fan speed with a Milan and lots of NVMe devices (totally cool). However, if any PCIe card is plugged in without temperature reporting the machine will ramp up the fans to 55% min. and stay there.

I have 2xMD1200's for storage and I need an external adapter (12g or 6) to connect them to. Does anyone know a non-raid adapter (I use ZFS) that has temperature reporting (SMbus/MCTP)?

See: ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Plus v2 fan speed always more then 55% (too much noise) for more info on this annoying issue.

From discussions on this issue:

"Hello,

here the feedback from HPE:

The I350-T4 PCI adapter doesn't support thermal reading via Legacy SMBus or MCTP. So, this behavior is
working as designed. And its the only supported 1GB Network Card for the Server.

Interestingly the same Card is working in my Dell Server without Thermal problems.

For me this is unsatisfactory."

Thanks!

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
With the main caveat that I have only limited experience with HP hardware, it sounds like it is the usual HP "Sea of sensors" fan ramp issue, there should be a few posts here too about this.

What wisdom I have accumulated from reading posts here, suggests that you need to use a controller from HP (with HP firmware).
I am only aware of two HP HBA generations:
  1. H220/H221, based on a LSI/Avago/Broadcom SAS2308 SAS2 controller
  2. H240/H241, based on a "HP" (with some relation to Adaptec/Microsemi) SAS3 controller
The H2x1 versions appears to have external ports.
You mention that you use ZFS, so I should probably mention that the H240 does not have great BSD support last I checked.

I hope it helps

Of course you should validate what I just wrote up (I only have experience with the H220 and H240's outside of HP machines, and not the Hx1 which could differ), and be sure to look into which cables you need to use.

Reactions: redeamon