SAS dual port

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
So I have been looking into this more since your last thread. Everything I can find points to most SAS2 drives being dual ported. I just got back from the airport and checked my Hitachis and they have the pads for the second port. What made me think otherwise are the mass amount of HP and Dell OEM drives on ebay that are single port.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
You guys seen the IBM X series dual port to two single SATA interposer?

Think top SAS DP -> PORT 1
Think normal Sata port -> port 2

They sold SSD's that were two in one, aka one ssd would act as two in a slot.

So makes you wonder hmmm. With the right controller, could I expand my 8 SFF server to 16 SFF? - Keep in mind that some servers are cross-connected.

dl380 g7 -> cable 1 goes to left cage on PORT 2 (SAS DP), cable 2 goes to right cage on Port 1 (SATA normal side)

In the event of a cage failure (raid-1+0 pairs are always split across cage) you have access. In the event of cable failure, you have access. The P410 can target sas drives twice (or more). So if the drive is in recovery it can ask what's up (unlike sata which is single target and can't respond).

So ? Who wants to try to stick two in one hole? I think they call that DP?