SAS drives with SATA breakout cable?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have a motherboard with a mini-SAS port and I have 4 SAS drives. Can I use a mini-SAS to 4 SATA forward breakout cable or does the forward breakout cable have to be mini-SAS to 4 SAS (which I can't even find for sale)?

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
In shorts, no, a SAS-to-SATA breakout cable will not with SAS drives. You need a SAS-to-SAS breakout cable.

1624315435364.png

As you can see, the physical connector is different.

However, you can connect SATA drives into SAS cables/backplanes, but not the other way around. This is because the SAS standard, as you can see above, was made backwards compatible with the SATA connector.

SAS uses both sides of the data connector, whereas SATA only uses only side. If you closely look at your SAS drives/cables, you'll see pins on both sides of the tiny data board you connect the cable to. Whereas SATA only uses a single side of the connector.

All of this is contrast to SATA drives, that will work with either SAS or SATA connectors. It doesn't matter for SATA.

Last edited:
Reactions: altano

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ah that was extremely informative, thanks.

In that case, any idea where you could buy the miniSAS-to-SAS equivalent of an SFF-8087 forward breakout cable?

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Just keep in mind that having a mini-SAS port does not mean your device actually supports SAS. It is common to use that for 4 SATA devices.
Oh jeez that actually is the case here. I have the D1541D4I-2L2T which says "D1541: 6 x SATA3 6Gb/s (4 port from mini SAS, 1 port supports SATA DOM)". Whoops.