SAS Controller to Maximize Expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Good Morning,

Having just got in on the E5-2670 deals, I'm looking to clean up and optimize my storage server... and I suppose to a degree simplify it.

I will be re-installing unraid on the box, which means any card needs to support IT mode (AFAIK). Anyways, what I currently have is an IBM M1015 connect to an HP Expander running 20 (soon to be 24) drives. Now, afaik the M1015 is a PCIe 2.0 card. My question is will I see a performance jump if I purchased a PCIe 3.0 controller card?

If so, any suggestions on cards? I was looking at the HP H200... thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

~Spritz

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Good Morning,

Having just got in on the E5-2670 deals, I'm looking to clean up and optimize my storage server... and I suppose to a degree simplify it.

I will be re-installing unraid on the box, which means any card needs to support IT mode (AFAIK). Anyways, what I currently have is an IBM M1015 connect to an HP Expander running 20 (soon to be 24) drives. Now, afaik the M1015 is a PCIe 2.0 card. My question is will I see a performance jump if I purchased a PCIe 3.0 controller card?

If so, any suggestions on cards? I was looking at the HP H200... thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

~Spritz
From the sound of things probably not as your bottleneck will be that single SAS connector from M1015 -> HP Expander. PCIe 2.0 8x (assuming that's the slot you're using) will provide 4GBps of bandwidth while the single 4 lane SAS connector is 4x 6.0Gbps = 24Gbps/8bits = 3GBps max using theoretical math.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Sorry I forgot this important detail. Both connectors on the M1015 are connected to the SAS Expander, so I don't think that's the bottleneck.

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for not being clear in my initial post.

~Spritz

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Thanks for the detailed response! Don't forget though, that their is an overhead associated with PCI-e, so that 4000MB/s is actually 3200 MB/s.

But yes, in the long run I'm looking to future proof my setup, and the PCI-e v3 cards seemed like an easy way to do that :).

~Spritz

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the detailed response! Don't forget though, that their is an overhead associated with PCI-e, so that 4000MB/s is actually 3200 MB/s.

But yes, in the long run I'm looking to future proof my setup, and the PCI-e v3 cards seemed like an easy way to do that :).

~Spritz
From a cost/performance perspective though, how much futureproofing is needed? Just a food for thought question as I've tried to plan for expandability and future proofing in most of my solutions/builds but often most of those options never came into play such as dual PCIe slots for Crossfire/SLI but eventually getting a faster single slot card and selling my old card was more cost effective and less hassle etc.
I guess I'm curious if it's worth it in this case to pay X for a PCI-e 3.0 SAS2 card now which will not necessarily yield gains or hold off until you need PCI-e 3.0 bandwidth and by that time SAS2 cards will be much cheaper or possibly getting PCIe3.0 SAS3 card for the same X you would've paid today?

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
You do raise a very good point, and echo the internal debate I've been having with myself... oh decisions, decisions.

~Spritz

EDIT - I can get 2x SuperMicro AOC-S2308L-L8E for ~$60 USD each.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
You do raise a very good point, and echo the internal debate I've been having with myself... oh decisions, decisions.

~Spritz

EDIT - I can get 2x SuperMicro AOC-S2308L-L8E for ~$60 USD each.
That's a pretty good price, considering PCIe 2.0 S2008 solutions which is running around $40 for Dell H200/310 units. I'd say if buying new then definitely go for the S2308 but not sure if worth the swap personally esp. if not the need right now.

I actually have a similar debate with having 200/20Mbps service from TimeWarner right now but my Docsis3 modem will only run up to 100/10 on their network (even though it supports up to 350/120). The only certified modems on their list that will do 200/20 are all around $100+... 100/10 is plenty for me for the time being so I'm probably just going to hold off and "lose" out on the other 100/10 I should be getting :p

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
I actually have a similar debate with having 200/20Mbps service from TimeWarner right now but my Docsis3 modem will only run up to 100/10 on their network (even though it supports up to 350/120). The only certified modems on their list that will do 200/20 are all around $100+... 100/10 is plenty for me for the time being so I'm probably just going to hold off and "lose" out on the other 100/10 I should be getting :p
Why are you bothering to pay more for something that you can't even use?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
@Sleyk I agree with your points as well, if I can get a compatible modem for <$40 I'd do it, but $70+ for even refurbs is something I don't need esp. considering I'm happy with current setup and already own modem.
Same applies to the SAS cards, if you need a card and can score PCIe 3.0 cards at $60 vs. PCIe 2.0 at $40, it's worthwhile to futureproof IMO. But if you already have the PCIe 2.0 card and it's not limiting you, upgrading for futureproofing seems unwarranted and you should just hold off and weigh options when that comes.

Thanks