SAS 8644 Active Optical Cable Problems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheDave

Feb 5, 2017
Hi all.

I ran into a distance to enclosure problem several weeks ago and decided to give active optical cables a try. I started my journey by buying an amphenol fci 5m cable expecting it to be plug and play given that the transceivers were built into each end of the cable. I bought it, I got it, I plugged it in...and nothing. Tried every combination of hookup I could think of, but there was not a connection made between the HBA and the expander, or from the HBA directly to drives (via 8644 to 8643 converter).

So I returned the amphenol thinking that maybe it was a bad cable and purchased a different cable, this time from Molex. Specifically their iPass+ HD 8644 cable. Got that one in today and same story; no connection between the card and the targets.

Have I missed a requirement somewhere? Or incorrectly assumed that the AOC cables should be plug and play?

The HBA card I'm trying to use in this setup is the Avago/LSI 9305-16i.

Thanks for the help,
D

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I know little of these, but I thought that they come with different voltage ratings. Maybe the ones you have tried so far are simply not compatible?