SAS 6/IR HDD Supported

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jajao555

Apr 4, 2017
I have a Dell R805 with the SAS 6/IR controller and I wanted to upgrade to two 300g SAS drives. Its came with two 73g SAS drives and works fine.

My issue is the controller sees the drives but I get a Wrong Type message for both when I try to create an array. I think the issue is that the new drives are 6Gbps and the controller is only capable of 3Gbps. Is that likely the reason?

I've read about re flashing to LSI firmware but I don't know if that would solve the issue if its a hardware constraint.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I have a Dell R805 with the SAS 6/IR controller and I wanted to upgrade to two 300g SAS drives. Its came with two 73g SAS drives and works fine.

My issue is the controller sees the drives but I get a Wrong Type message for both when I try to create an array. I think the issue is that the new drives are 6Gbps and the controller is only capable of 3Gbps. Is that likely the reason?
SAS speeds shouldn't matter.

Where did you get the 300GB SAS drives? They may have a non-512-byte sector size - see the sticky "How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size" here. Note that you can't do this on a RAID card, you need a plain old HBA (AKA IT mode). If these are not Dell-labeled drives, you may be running into a blacklisting of non-Dell drives. Make sure you're running the newest controller firmware.

jajao555

Apr 4, 2017
These were actually Dell Savvio 10k.5 drives. I tried an old WD Blue SATA II laptop drive and it recognized it and would let me create an array. So I thought that was probably the issue. For whatever reason the Dell drive wouldn't negotiate down or something? Or its the 512b Sector Size you linked to? Not sure.

I'm just going to return the two SAS drives. I found two WD Black 500g SATA II drives on ebay so hopefully I have the same luck with them.

Thanks for the reply!