SAS 15k drive Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dannytek

Sep 12, 2019
Hi all

I’m new to having a server and have a question.

I was purchasing a SAS drive from someone who sold their server.

The drive is 15k SAS drive 759547

I was going to collect to pay and seller messaged to say, he forgot to format/wipe the drive and would need to before I can have it.

My question is, if I insert this SAS drive into my newly built server, will it come up as as foreign drive or force me to format before accessing the drive? Or will it work straight away and I can gain access to their data which we don’t want?

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It depends on how the previous owner had it set up and what drive it is. If it is encrypted, or the data on it was fully encrypted, for example, that is less of an issue.

Dannytek

Sep 12, 2019
It depends on how the previous owner had it set up and what drive it is. If it is encrypted, or the data on it was fully encrypted, for example, that is less of an issue.
It is a HP - 450GB 15000 RPM 12G SAS SFF 2.5INCH SC ENTERPRISE

If it’s encrypted would that mean once I put into my system it will force drive to format or does it mean the drive will be rendered dead?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It also depends on whether it was the only drive or if its just a part of a larger array.
If it was the only drive and not encrypted then data access is quite possible.

Else, its less likely or impossible (depending on the actual array/ hw/sw) being used by the previous owner