Sanity check regarding 3420 / 3400 chipset memory requirements

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

discoeels

May 8, 2013
I'm looking for two reasonably priced 8gb dimms for my x8sil-v board and I've been reading through the various threads
discussing the topic however, I wanted to double check my understanding of thing before I spend. I'm referring to the chart on the Supermicro site.

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | Memory Support

In table I see where the limit for udimms is spelled out however on chart two for rdimms it seems to
repeat the same table spare for quad rank. What about 32gb for Rdimms? Or is that the maximum for each channel?

Looking at the lower tables it seems to say that I can use any rank rdimm so long as they are 1Gbx8 or 2Gbx8 with the notice that if I populate all slots with quad rank my memory bandwidth will default to 800 Mhz. Would the same happen if I populate all slots with dual rank?

So basically if I want to install two 8gb Rdimms for 16gb, leaving room for expansion *Without* the bandwidth "tax" Ill need to find two single or dual rank Rdimms @ 8gb a piece, also being mindful that they must be 1gb x8 or 2gb x

For example, these quad rank Rdimms would be fine if I only cared to have 16Gb, but if I didn't want the bandwidth "tax" with expanding to 32gb I would have to find single or dual rank Rdimms (still 1Gb or 2 Gb x8) SuperTalent DDR3 SDRAM 8GB PC3 10600 1333 MHz ECC Reg Micron Chip Server Memory | eBay

I hope I didn't ramble too much, I know that the "tax" I speak of isnt that drastic but I just don't want to pay extra for bandwidth that ill loose