Sandy Bridge E5's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What temps do you guys try keep your Sandy Bridge E5 CPUs at or between?

I haven't had any Sandy Xeons at home, and now that I do I want to make sure my cooling is up to par.

T

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
What does that have to do with safe operating temperatures of an Intel Sandy Bridge Xeon CPU?

My case size, and load have 0 to do with what is safe temp for the CPU. More often than not to get high CPU temp you need to be using the CPU ;)

I'm not asking what you're CPU idles at, or what you "like"... I'm asking what you try to keep the Sandy Bridge line-up "within" as far as what temps do you attempt to maintain as to not throttle the CPU. I'm more interested in what people try to keep them between, and what's pushing the limit for them. (I'm doing research on Intel's specs, but was just curious what others watched temp-wise for this generation.)

Last edited:

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
What temps do you guys try keep your Sandy Bridge E5 CPUs at or between?

I haven't had any Sandy Xeons at home, and now that I do I want to make sure my cooling is up to par.

T
As long as the temperature is below the Tj or Tcase (which ever is specified on the data sheets), it is fine. The CPUs themselves are designed for parts per million failure rates at 10 year lives at max operating conditions. Intel puts a lot of work into making those calculations and making sure they work, as much if not more than any other manufacture of enterprise grade equipment. The only downside to operating at higher Tj/Tcase will be increased power draw.

Reactions: T_Minus

yaxisandxaxis

Jan 26, 2015
What @ATS said. AVX workloads are a different ballpark. Keep within specs and you are fine. My 1U systems usually run warmer than my 2U and my 4U it depends on if I am trying to keep the box silent or not.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Anyone have the TJMAX SPEC For the E5 v1 cpu list, that's what I'm trying to find :) It seems sometimes intel makes it easy to find and others not so much.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
Anyone have the TJMAX SPEC For the E5 v1 cpu list, that's what I'm trying to find :) It seems sometimes intel makes it easy to find and others not so much.
ark.intel.com has most of the of E5 V1 Tcase listed. They range from 67-85 degrees depending on specific model.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
ark.intel.com has most of the of E5 V1 Tcase listed. They range from 67-85 degrees depending on specific model.
I must be blind, or working too late. Thanks, that's where I was :) LOL