Sandy Bridge and Supermicro X9SCx (C204) - BIOS flash

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ksv

Jun 26, 2012
California
I waiting for the arrival of my X9SCA from Newegg, but don't know if it has the v. 2.0 BIOS needed to boot with an incoming 1240v2 cpu. I hope to find someone local who has a cpu that could be used to boot the board and flash the BIOS. Would any SB LGA 1155 socket cpu work for that?

(For that matter, I could look around for someone trying to get rid of an old one...)

ksv

Jun 26, 2012
California
I have decided that Supermicro is a great company, actually. I gave them a call, realizing that they didn't know me (a home user/hobbyist/college prof having fun) from a hole in the wall. There, Mike helped me for 20-30 minutes, tracking down the serial number of the board (this was before I had everything in place to assemble the machine). He figured out I almost certainly had one of the newer chips with the 2.0 BIOS in it. So I went ahead much relieved. Never had to address the issue.

My board came from Newegg. Much of what I got came from other sources, though. I shopped pretty hard for the lowest prices.

The build went well and it booted up fine. I screwed up the BIOS settings trying to help Linux Mint boot w/o freezing (a video card issue), but Supermicro again patiently worked with me (newbie at such--I didn't know if I had to remove the battery before resetting the CMOS).

Darned thing runs like a charm. The only issue I have with the board is the placement of the PCI-E slots. It lacks USB 3.0 (which I knew about going in), but any PCI-E card in the smaller slot will block the Nvidia card's air flow in the x16 slot. AFAIK PCI is too slow to work well with USB 3.0...

Can give you the full specs if you wish.

ksv

Jun 26, 2012
California
Plain X9SCA / E3-1240v2 / 16 GB Kingston KVR1600 ram / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Seagate Constellation 1TB / MSI GTX 560Ti card / Seasonic PSU / Noctua cooling / Nexus Prom. R case. Have an old SB Live! card which Win 7 doesn't recognize (Linux has no issues, of course).

Took a little work to boot Linux (Debian Mint) initially. System would freeze up. Determined it to be the video card (I think the nouveau driver with the GPU messed things up, as an older nvidia card worked fine). This was more easily managed (i.e. "later discovered that") by forcing the onboard VGA in BIOS, and using a VGA cable to the monitor. Once installed and with the nvidia kernel installed, there are no problems at all.

It surprised me that Windows has gone back to modifying the MBR on installation. Fixed that after getting it on the system.

ksv

Jun 26, 2012
California
I honestly didn't. Thought I'd try to sell it off, actually. I haven't been able to get Superdoctor up and running on Linux yet, where I am most of the time, so I can't check the cpu T. The quickest reboot out to BIOS always shows a "Low" on the cpu, but things cool off quickly, too. The GPU runs at 65-70 C with most BOINC GpuGrid calcs, and I wanted to be sure I kept the cpu as cool as possible. I haven't played much with fan placements yet, but hot air rises...

msiegel

Jun 2, 2012
San Francisco
it could have been worse... you could have ended up with (2) intel cpu coolers! ;)

hopefully the perforated expansion slot covers will help.

how was the clearance between the noctua cpu cooler and that tall heatsink (between the cpu and the ethernet ports)?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Maybe I am the only one that actually does not mind the push pins. Sure I have had one pop off. But when you want something inexpensive "free" and fairly quiet it works well.

ksv

Jun 26, 2012
California
I'm sure I went overboard, since the cpu's a lower heat generator than the AMDs I'm used to. But I don't mind too much. Right now it feels pretty darned warm to me (as I look inside to answer msiegel's questions). I'm going to play with the fan some (put it on full instead of letting the board manage it).

Msiegel, there is absolutely no problem with that cooler and anything on the board. It's got a 40 mm max height for memory -- I might even be able to yank the 1st slot's ram if I needed to without removing the cooler. The Kingston KVR tops off at 30 mm.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Maybe I am the only one that actually does not mind the push pins. Sure I have had one pop off. But when you want something inexpensive "free" and fairly quiet it works well.
No... You are not alone. :)

I am running the stock Intel H/S Fan on a I5-3570K and, even with a mild O/C, it is performing quite well.

peace,

msiegel

Jun 2, 2012
San Francisco
ksv, thank you for looking! :)

Patrick, you and ehorn have convinced me to try the Intel first... but I'll keep a wary eye on the thermometer...