Samsung SSD DC Toolkit not working with NVME drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Hi,

I am trying to use the DC Toolkit to see if I can upgrade the firmware of my Samsung SSD, but I cannot get it working, on Windows 10 or Debian:

Code:
# ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 -L
================================================================================================
Samsung DC Toolkit Version 2.1.L.Q.0
Copyright (C) 2017 SAMSUNG Electronics Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.
================================================================================================
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Disk   | Path       | Model                      | Serial               | Firmware | Optionrom | Capacity | Drive  | Total Bytes | NVMe Driver |
| Number |            |                            | Number               |          | Version   |          | Health | Written     |             |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 0      | /dev/sda   | TOSHIBA HDWD130            |            XXXXXXXXX | MX6OACF0 | N/A       |  2794 GB | N/A    | 0.00 TB     | N/A         |
| 1      | /dev/sdb   | WDC WD80EMAZ-00M9AA0       | XXXXXXXX             | 81.00A81 | N/A       |  7452 GB | N/A    | 0.00 TB     | N/A         |
| 0:c    | /dev/nvme0 | SAMSUNG MZ1LV960HCJH-000MU | XXXXXXXXXXXXXX       | BXV76M8Q |           |   894 GB | GOOD   |  0.04 TB    | Unknown     |

# ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 -d 0:c -S
Samsung DC Toolkit Version 2.1.L.Q.0
Copyright (C) 2017 SAMSUNG Electronics Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usage:
  ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 -d [diskindex] -S [ --smart ] [parameter-list]

Example:
  ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 --disk 1 --smart [or] ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 -d 1 -S
  ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 --disk 1 --smart --temperature [or] ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 -d 1 -S -t
  ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 --disk 1 --smart --temperature --path [file-path] [or] ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 -d 1 -S -t -p [file-path]
  ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 --disk 1 --smart --query [or] ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 -d 1 -S -q

./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 --disk 1 --smart --execute [sub-option] [or] ./Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Linux_V2.1 -d 1 -S -e [sub-option]
  [sub-option] for --execute are --[offline/captive | short/extended/selective]
  [sub-option] --abort and --checkstatus

Sub Options:
  -d [ --disk        ] Disk-Number of the disk to show S M A R T values of
  -t [ --temperature ] Enables the user to log the temperature of the disk
  -q [ --query       ] Display the percentage of the available LBA to replace
  -e [ --execute     ] Execute SMART Self-Test on the specified disk.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I select disk 0 or 1, I can see the smart data. Same issue on Windows. What am I doing wrong?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I've also never used this tool before, but doesn't the fact it's giving you the help text suggest that there's something it doesn't like about the parameters you're feeding it?

The --disk 0:c looks suspect especially when compared to their examples, what sort of output do you get when you use 1 or 2?

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
I agree, that's why I think I am missing something.

If I use 1 or 2, I see the smart values.

It seems that "0:c" is valid, according to the doc. The format seems fine for nvme devices.

harleylg

Oct 20, 2023
I agree, that's why I think I am missing something.

If I use 1 or 2, I see the smart values.

It seems that "0:c" is valid, according to the doc. The format seems fine for nvme devices.
The -S Option only work on SATA SSD, not work on NVMe SSD.
aa.png

If U want to display SMART info of a NVMe SSD, U should use:
Code:
Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Windows.exe -d 0:c -NG -s

or

Samsung_SSD_DC_Toolkit_for_Windows.exe --disk 0:c --nvme-get-log-pages --smart