Samsung PM1735 - No drivers, no firmware found anywhere?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mgerdts

Jul 10, 2020
So I finally did get someone. The PM1735 is supposed to be bootable in a PCIe 3.0 interface. We talked a bit and I'm going to try the SSD in my Supermicro server and see whether it works. Yes, my motherboard needs to be upgraded. No, the drive needs to be RMA'd. To be continued...
Oh, please share the magic. I've only found 4 different phone numbers to call with no meaningful progress. I'm trying to figure out how to configure SR-IOV and namespaces. nvme delete-ns worked just fine, but create-ns doesn't work. So now I have a really expensive NVMe controller with no ability to write data.

# nvme create-ns /dev/nvme0 -c 1048576 -f 2 -d 0 -m 1
NVMe Status:INVALID_FIELD: A reserved coded value or an unsupported value in a defined field(2)

Krusher

Jun 30, 2020
Ok I'm back in. I haven't had to use the Linux command nvme before myself so take this FWIW. :) It looks like the error is in field 2, i.e. -f 2.

The man page for that says -f is the block size. Wouldn't that be 512, 1024, 4096, etc?

I've just used mkfs then mounted it through fstab. But maybe you're doing something differently and still need support.

I probably shouldn't post the number here; being it's enterprise support I was told "they may ask for your account number" and the guy I did get was the last extension I tried. But if you're stuck, send me a PM by clicking on my name and select "Start conversation". They may ask you where you found the number FYI.

mgerdts

Jul 10, 2020
Ok I'm back in. I haven't had to use the Linux command nvme before myself so take this FWIW. :) It looks like the error is in field 2, i.e. -f 2.

The man page for that says -f is the block size. Wouldn't that be 512, 1024, 4096, etc?
The man page says:

-f, --flbas
The namespace formatted logical block size setting. Conflicts with
--block-size argument.

The -f option seems to be more commonly used in examples that turn up in searches. Using -b or --block-size has the same issue.

[root@ws1 ~]# nvme create-ns /dev/nvme0 -c 1048576 -b 4096 -d 0 -m 1
NVMe Status:INVALID_FIELD: A reserved coded value or an unsupported value in a defined field(2)
[root@ws1 ~]# nvme create-ns /dev/nvme0 -c 1048576 -b 512 -d 0 -m 1

Krusher

Jun 30, 2020
I am just curious now, did you try the linux mkfs command on /dev/nvme0 or another tool like gparted to see if the SSD shows up? It seems like that in any modern linux kernel that the OS should recognize the SSD. What you're trying to do appears like you're 'forcing' it into the system so to speak when it is not recognized on boot.

Let me PM you the guy's phone number at Samsung next. I don't know if they can help you as this may be a Linux issue (hopefully) so give the guy a call if you can't get it working using other tools like gparted.

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
it is microcode for U.2 version of PM1735, just in case if someone will be looking for a firmware for models
MZWLJ1T6HBJR-000M3
MZWLJ3T2HBLS-000M3
MZWLJ6T4HALA-000M3

techamok

Jun 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

Intend to buy Samsung PM1735 for virtualization use, so I'm wondering does Samsung PM1735 3.2 TB work under vSphere 6.5 U1 (I know depending on the retailer the firmware can differ, so does the firmware have to be the exact one as on VMware HCL), and is it possible to replace the PCIEX slot bracket on it from HHHL form with a full height PCIEX bracket (is it removable at all/held by screws or fixed to the Samsung board in some other manner) ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Waterkippie

Oct 12, 2017
Yeah it comes with both brackets.

But i'd recommend buying something else. Something with support, drivers, documentation. This Samsung seems to have none and Samsung doesn't seem to care.

techamok

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah it comes with both brackets.

But i'd recommend buying something else. Something with support, drivers, documentation. This Samsung seems to have none and Samsung doesn't seem to care.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you have any enterprise SSD recommendations that work with VMware vSphere, in a similar, or a bit higher price range ?

Waterkippie

Oct 12, 2017
If you want PCI-E 4.0 try the Intel D7 series:

Or their other series for PCI 3.x:

techamok

Jun 20, 2018
If you want PCI-E 4.0 try the Intel D7 series:

Or their other series for PCI 3.x:
Thanks. Any recommendation on an ok U2 PCIEX SSD adapter, since I have no U2 slot support on my existing Supermicro server.

techamok

Jun 20, 2018
Last edited:

andrea.giacomin

Apr 26, 2021
Oh, please share the magic. I've only found 4 different phone numbers to call with no meaningful progress. I'm trying to figure out how to configure SR-IOV and namespaces. nvme delete-ns worked just fine, but create-ns doesn't work. So now I have a really expensive NVMe controller with no ability to write data.

Hi,
I had the same problem. A few days ago i put my hans on a Samsung PM1735 1.6TB (MZPLJ1T6HBJR-00007) and I deleted the default namespace for testing reasons. I was not able to create and attach new namespaces. After some hours of testing:
Bash:
nvme create-ns /dev/nvme0 --nsze=3125627568 --ncap=3125627568 --flbas=0 --dps=0
nvme attach-ns /dev/nvme0 --namespace-id=1 -controllers=65
The critical piece of information is the controller ID 65. Then you can get the supported LBA sizes with:
Bash:
nvme id-ns /dev/nvme0 -n 1 -H
And then format the namespace with the LBA size you want, in this example 4k.
Bash:
nvme format /dev/nvme0 -n 1 -l 4

Reactions: UhClem

Au7arch

May 12, 2021
I’ve been unable to find a Samsung driver or firmware as well. Is it the consensus here that this SSD can still (probably) be used with a server motherboard such as Supermicro?

Da_iaji

Aug 11, 2021

Have you found a way to enable SR-IOV? When I enable SR-IOV, PM1733 will only report an error.

Zebrazz

Nov 7, 2021

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Got few PM1733 and now stuck, not able to mount it in Debian Linux, shows as
[N:4:65:1] disk SAMSUNG MZWLJ7T6HALA-00007__1 -
Windows booted on the same Supermicro server takes it with no issues - I can mount, format and use it.
What is the trick?