Samsung PM1733

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
oh I’m still window shopping! That’s something worth thinking about for me though I guess, Passive cooling might be nice.
no x570 with passive cooling, apart from a gigabyte I don't like since it's super expensive, and some asrock rack produced just in microatx format.

You may want to think about alternatives to x570 (epyc, TR, or xeon cascade lake). I'm selling brand new stuff (a xeon platinum 8260M QS with motherboard, sealed) for 850 eur, since I'm transitioning to epyc, but if you are in the US, I think that customs and stuff will cost you a fortune.

human_capitalist

Dec 22, 2020
no x570 with passive cooling, apart from a gigabyte I don't like since it's super expensive, and some asrock rack produced just in microatx format.

You may want to think about alternatives to x570 (epyc, TR, or xeon cascade lake). I'm selling brand new stuff (a xeon platinum 8260M QS with motherboard, sealed) for 850 eur, since I'm transitioning to epyc, but if you are in the US, I think that customs and stuff will cost you a fortune.
I'm in Australia, It's even worse!!

And I have my eye on a 5950x build - I just can't go past this price/performance :)
ryzen-9-5950x.png

• Love
Reactions: balnazzar

human_capitalist

Dec 22, 2020
In the end I ordered two ssds: one pm1735 1.6tb, pcie, and one pm1733 u.2 1.92tb.. Risky... but I needed enterprise-class realiability.

I'll tell you how they perform.
Hi Balnazzar, how did you go with your 1735 and 1733?

I ended up getting a more consumer focused mobo, a Gigabyte X570 Aorus pro wifi

I got one of these m.2 to U.2 adapters and a mini-sas plus power cable to try and adapt my 1733:

...but, Nothing. Couldn't even see the drive in bios :-(

I'm thinking of getting a PCIe x4 U.2 adapter card:

Hopefully that might be simple enough that there is nothing on it that cares about PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0, and it might just work...

Reactions: balnazzar

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I ended up selling the 1733, and retaining the 1735.

I have nothing to complain about it, except for the fact that if gives the best of itself when used concurrently by many threads and/or with QD >=4.

If accessed in T1Q1, the performance is nowhere near its potential. Its controller is optimized for concurrency.

In any case, I think that with the adapter card your ssd will work fine ;)

Reactions: human_capitalist

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I wound up getting both the pm1733 (7.68TB) and kioxia also 7.68TB drives. I tested them in the romed8 and tyan s8030. I also have the x570 but it is on loan at the moment. the romed8 and tyan s8030 use different cables. romed8 is oculink and the tyan is slimsas. the pm1733 is u.2 and the kioxia is u.3. both drives work ok on the romed8 but only the pm1733 works on the tyan. still trying to sort out why. I was able to pick up the pm1733 relatively cheap and the kioxia was slightly more expensive. The kioxia is the cd6-r version. the samsung seems to be better on paper and as balnazzar mentioned, the benchmarks are all over the place. one observation is that the samsung feels twice as heavy! i actually weighed both to check and the samsung is 166.6 grams and the kioxia is 96.7. the kioxia is newer nvme 1.4 vs 1.3 for the samsung. the kioxia is also u.3 compliant.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I wound up getting both the pm1733 (7.68TB) and kioxia also 7.68TB drives. I tested them in the romed8 and tyan s8030. I also have the x570 but it is on loan at the moment. the romed8 and tyan s8030 use different cables. romed8 is oculink and the tyan is slimsas. the pm1733 is u.2 and the kioxia is u.3. both drives work ok on the romed8 but only the pm1733 works on the tyan. still trying to sort out why. I was able to pick up the pm1733 relatively cheap and the kioxia was slightly more expensive. The kioxia is the cd6-r version. the samsung seems to be better on paper and as balnazzar mentioned, the benchmarks are all over the place. one observation is that the samsung feels twice as heavy! i actually weighed both to check and the samsung is 166.6 grams and the kioxia is 96.7. the kioxia is newer nvme 1.4 vs 1.3 for the samsung. the kioxia is also u.3 compliant.
Just out of curiosity, how are you updating the firmware on those drives?

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
good question as I haven't gotten around to doing that yet (for either drive.) I have been too busy trying to find some milan chips and getting the 200GE cards to work properly in vmware. let me know if you can point me in the right direction as it probably wouldn't hurt to update them if available.
jp

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
good question as I haven't gotten around to doing that yet (for either drive.) I have been too busy trying to find some milan chips and getting the 200GE cards to work properly in vmware. let me know if you can point me in the right direction as it probably wouldn't hurt to update them if available.
jp
Sadly, I don't have any info on this. I was hoping that perhaps you had discovered that Samsung and/or Kioxia had started supporting direct customers like Intel and that I had missed it. Or that perhaps you had found a company reselling the products (with a reasonable markup) that provides a legal path to firmware updates.

(Side note: I'm really, really, really hoping that SK Hynix continues Intel's direct model after they acquire part of Intel's SSD business.)

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
i agree. I work with mellanox nics a lot and they are pretty good about fw updates (although there are some new security enhancements that make switching from an HP version of the mellanox back to the standard mellanox version difficult. I think both of the ssds that I have now are hp branded versions of the samsung and kioxia. maybe I can go the hp route for upgrading as they are also pretty good with updates.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
although there are some new security enhancements that make switching from an HP version of the mellanox back to the standard mellanox version difficult.
Do you have the hpe product numbers for these nics?

human_capitalist

Dec 22, 2020
I'm sad to report that my 2TB PM1733 does not work on the Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi via either PCIe adapter or M.2 adapter - it simply does not show up in the BIOS (latest BIOS applied) or in Windows.

The same drive DOES show up as a PCIe 3.0 NVME drive via PCIe adapter card in a HPE ML110 Gen10. Which means I now have a very expensive 2TB PCIe 3.0 ZFS L2ARC read cache in my 40GbE NAS. I guess PCIe 3.0 x4 from the drive is still almost fast enough to saturate the 40GbE network link and I still get to benefit from the PM1733s fast internal speed and high write endurance.... Would have been nicer as a Windows data drive though :-/

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Do you have the hpe product numbers for these nics?
this is the issue that I was running into on one of the hpe branded mellanox nics (p06250-b21)

2.4.18 Secure Firmware Update “Secure firmware updates” is the ability of a device to verify digital signatures of new firmware binaries, in order to assure that only officially approved versions can be installed from the host, the network[1] or a Board Management Controller (BMC). The firmware of devices with “secure firmware updates” functionality (secure fw), restricts access to specific commands and registers that can be used to modify the firmware binary image on the flash, as well as commands that can jeopardize security in general. Most notably, the commands and registers for random flash access are disabled. Secure FW verifies new binaries before activating them, compared to legacy devices where this task is done by the update tool using direct flash access commands. In addition to signature verification, secure FW also checks that the binary is designated to the same device model, that the new firmware is also secured, and that the new FW version is not included in a forbidden versions blacklist. The firmware rejects binaries that do not match the verification criteria. Secure FW utilize the same ‘fail safe’ upgrade procedures, so events like power failure during update should not leave the device in an unstable state.