Samsung PM1733

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Hi Folks.
I can get the PM1733 for a decent price, so I'd like to have your opinion about it, since I didn't manage to find one single review about it.

Why do I think it's interesting:
1. I got a ROMED8-2T, supporting gen4 drives.
2. I have 4 GPUs and don't want any M.2 drive to be roasted underneath them
3. I can use Oculink-to-u.2 connectors for them.
4. High endurance: I'll use it to host an hibernation file.

human_capitalist

Dec 22, 2020
I don’t have an opinion, but i’m thinking of getting some too - what I am trying to find out though is what those 4 square connectors are, and how I can adapt them to my motherboard’s m.2 socket?

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I don’t have an opinion, but i’m thinking of getting some too - what I am trying to find out though is what those 4 square connectors are, and how I can adapt them to my motherboard’s m.2 socket?
I don't know what exactly these connectors are, but the drive should have a standard U.2 connector (SATA-similar). At least it seems so judging by:

How can you connect it to your mb?

human_capitalist

Dec 22, 2020
I don't know what exactly these connectors are, but the drive should have a standard U.2 connector (SATA-similar). At least it seems so judging by:

How can you connect it to your mb?

I’m out of PCIe slots unfortunately :-(
If it’s a standard u.2 interface then I should be able to find a cable for that I guess.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019

human_capitalist

Dec 22, 2020

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Also re your original question, I just found this... one guy claims to have returned his PM1733!
Mh, the guy says the drive performs as it should in a GUI benchmark, even if it's not clear which kind of GUI benchmark he's using...
I think that stuff should be investigated a bit better.. hdparm is not the most orthodox manner to benchmark a ssd..

with a 16x graphics card and 8x Mellanox 40GbE, I need to connect my SSD via an m.2 port.
But you still have the third X16(X8) slot, right?

human_capitalist

Dec 22, 2020
The top 2 slots are driven by the cpu and only have 16x of lanes between them, so if I want the full 16x for the graphics card, the other has to remain empty.

The 3rd slot is driven by the motherboard at 8x, I’ll use that for the Mellanox.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
The top 2 slots are driven by the cpu and only have 16x of lanes between them, so if I want the full 16x for the graphics card, the other has to remain empty.

The 3rd slot is driven by the motherboard at 8x, I’ll use that for the Mellanox.
In understand, but be aware these are gen4 slots.

In other words, if you use both of them, they'll go at 8X each, that is 16X gen3 equivalent. You won't see any performance degradation with your graphics card (if unsure, benchmark it).
Even if you have an Ampere gen4-enabled card, there will we no difference whatsoever.

As a sidenote, even if the third slot is driven by the pch at 8x, the link with the cpu will still be 4x (no Ryzen can handle more than 20 lanes in total). no need to worry for your mellanox though, since a 8x gen3 card would still work at full bandwidth in such a slot.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
In the end I ordered two ssds: one pm1735 1.6tb, pcie, and one pm1733 u.2 1.92tb.. Risky... but I needed enterprise-class realiability.

I'll tell you how they perform.

Reactions: human_capitalist

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
My ws x570 ace is still uninstalled since I'm waiting for a 5900x to be delivered.. Can you tell me if the chipset fan makes noise?

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
P.S. note that you can connect an U.2 drive using the minisas connector.. The board manual specifically advertises it for connecting u.2 nvme drives.. You just need to buy a cable on amazon.

human_capitalist

Dec 22, 2020
P.S. note that you can connect an U.2 drive using the minisas connector.. The board manual specifically advertises it for connecting u.2 nvme drives.. You just need to buy a cable on amazon.
I saw that the specs said the u.2 was gen3x4, so I thought for that drive I had better use something else