Samsung or SanDisk

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have been a huge fan of the SanDisk cards. It seems like my 32GB photo taking card is on the outs (starting to get corruption.)

Alas, now there are much larger options out there. I noticed that I took about 2GB of images during a 3 hour period at GTC, so I am now looking at a 128GB SDXC card. I hear Samsung is going after SanDisk and since Samsung also has fabs, I would feel better with them than some random vendor.

Potential 128GB options:
$54 - Samsung EVO+ http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-Adapter-MB-MC128DA-AM/dp/B0118LR9Z8/
$41 - SanDisk Ultra - Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA): Computers & Accessories
$38 - Samsung EVO - Amazon.com: Samsung 128GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC Card with Adapter up to 48MB/s (MB-MP128DA/AM): Computers & Accessories

I think the $38 Evo is rated at around 48MB/s while the SanDisk and Samsung are rated at 80MB/s.

I am feeling like the SanDisk is the winner but wanted to see if there was a good reason to consider the Samsung EVOs. It seems a bit strange that SanDisk has a 128GB and 80MB/s that costs so much more on a percentage basis.

Does anyone have a reason to go Samsung over SanDisk? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Storagereview ran these through iometer testing.
SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 128GB Card Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
Samsung EVO Plus MicroSD Memory Card Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Looks like the EVO+ has much better performance, but for a camera that's probably only doing sequential writes, the SanDisk is cheaper per gb.

Snipping from the articles..
Sandisk: Its sequential activity was measured at 44.66MB/s and 14.29MB/s for read and write, respectively, and random large-block performance was found to be 43.98MB/s and 2.45MB/s for read and write
EVO+: Sequential transfer rates were recorded with reads and writes of 84.9MB/s and 19.7MB/s respectively,When comparing random large-block transfers, the Samsung Evo Plus recorded 79.5MB/s read with 3.9MB/s write.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I forget now, but I posted and looked into this recently when I was wanting to get one for my surface, and dslr... some models are still MLC.

A quick google search will yield this or check my old thread (on this forum) I think I shared / others did. I was asking about SLC iirc, but ended up with MLC due to capacity / cost.

I believe some of the Samsung models are MLC and some of the Sandisk too -- I just forget which :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@xnoodle - thank you for that.

I saw the SanDisk model number was slightly different: SDSDQUA-128G (SR benchmarks) v. SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA (Amazon linked above.) Which is what gave me pause. People are using the Amazon number and posting 85MB/s read/ 15MB/s write.

On the write speeds, actually more important than you would think. I still only am using the Canon 6D but it is generating ~28-30MB of image data (RAW + JPEG) per snap. I figure I am writing at least 2-3GB on the cards per week.

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
Why microSD for the 6D?
For my D300s I use both the Lexar Gold Series which are 633x/95MB/s and the SanDisk Extreme PRO which is the same speed. I would never even consider a Samsung card. Now that the D500 is out I'll most likely be upgrading the UHS-II cards though.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Why microSD for the 6D?
For my D300s I use both the Lexar Gold Series which are 633x/95MB/s and the SanDisk Extreme PRO which is the same speed. I would never even consider a Samsung card. Now that the D500 is out I'll most likely be upgrading the UHS-II cards though.
I end up using them in my phone and elsewhere so I prefer the smaller form factor (and smaller USB dongles if required).

Why not the Samsung card?

Evo 128GB and SanDisk Ultra 128GB are getting run through ATTO right now.

mattr

Aug 1, 2013
Out of the few Samsung cards I owned they all died pretty quickly. Plus Samsung's business practice especially in regards to flash storage has been shady at best. SanDisk and Lexar have been the tops for reliability and speed for years so the minor price benefit you may find with some Samsung cards just isn't worth it imo.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
A quick preview - that SanDisk Ultra does beat the Lexar 633x and Samsung EVO+ as well.