Samsung 980 Pro NVME power on hours not accurate

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Although this isn't really a server-y issue, I thought I'd ask here because I'm more likely to get an answer.

I have a Samsung 980 Pro (with heatsink) that does not seem to accurately report power on hours. I've been logged in to Windows for a week or so now, and the power on hours report as "14". It is slowly going up, as it was 12 when I first noticed it during my testing of this machine, but that was several weeks ago. I've checked with Samsung Magician, smartmontools, and Hard Disk Sentinal, and all report the exact same number.

I did buy this drive used, but it was supposedly only "used" in name, in that it was removed from the box and installed in a computer to test, and the total bytes written (less than 200GB when I got it) seems to show that is true, and it is going up accurately as I use it.

Any guesses as to what might be wrong, and could I be facing a problem down the road?

10baggerclub

Apr 14, 2022
if you have "turn-off hard drive after:" value non-zero, your power on hour won't increase while it's turned off even if your system has been on.