Samsung - 980 PRO 1TB PCIE 4.0 x4 NVMe Gen4 $53 (possible scam)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Eh, I'm in for 3 as well.

eBay and PayPal has excellent buyer protection, which I've used many many times and have never lost. Just stay on top of the delivery, and file the normal dispute policy.

I also use The UPS Store for these kind of deliveries and open the package in front of them. A few times I was shipped the wrong item, which I took pictures of with label. One was challenged that I was lying and replaced the item. I uploaded two affidavits signed by the store employee who was near me at the time, as well as the store manager. It also helps to get to know these people as well. I won.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015

eBay and PayPal has excellent buyer protection, which I've used many many times and have never lost. Just stay on top of the delivery, and file the normal dispute policy.
You do realize you're still paying for it, right?
Every time one of these scams work, someone gets stuck with the loss - eBay, PayPal or your CC provider.
What do they do? Simply accept lower profits? Why do that if you can just raise your transaction fees accordingly to adjust for the slightly more risky market?
And what happens with these fees? Well, the next hop will just raise their own fees accordingly as well.
Why should you care then? Because you, as a buyer, are always the last hop in the chain, meaning that every time someone buys into what is clearly a scam, we all have to pay slightly more for everything we buy.
Everyone makes mistakes, but there are no free lunches...

BTW - in some rare conditions, willfully engaging in a transaction where you have strong reason to suspect its legitimacy could result in anything from revoking your buyer protection to potentially making you a willing part of the scammer's criminal enterprise...

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
No one is out of anything, except the seller.

PayPal will refund all fees. No loss on there part. If this truly is suspicious PayPal account, then they will hold all funds for 60 days.

eBay's won't collect fees, but that's all automated anyways and no loss on their part. The dispute system is fully automated, especially if the seller never responds - it defaults to your favor and funds returned. However, yes, if the seller does respond then a real person has to get involved to review the case. There's a cost to that.

CC is not out of any money, as it gets refunded by PayPal. It's never escalated to the point I had to do a CC charge back.

And frankly, accusing me of willfully engaging in a scam is personally offensive. I was not, period.

---

Besides, none of this matters...

The listing had been pulled (deleted), and I'm sure I'll get an email shortly stating the listing was cancelled and no funds were pulled.

So yep, y'all were right. And the OP and I are sad we didn't get our drives at a discounted rate.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
No one is out of anything, except the seller.

PayPal will refund all fees. No loss on there part. If this truly is suspicious PayPal account, then they will hold all funds for 60 days.

eBay's won't collect fees, but that's all automated anyways and no loss on their part. The dispute system is fully automated, especially if the seller never responds - it defaults to your favor and funds returned. However, yes, if the seller does respond then a real person has to get involved to review the case. There's a cost to that.

CC is not out of any money, as it gets refunded by PayPal. It's never escalated to the point I had to do a CC charge back.

And frankly, accusing me of willfully engaging in a scam is personally offensive. I was not, period.

---

Besides, none of this matters...

The listing had been pulled (deleted), and I'm sure I'll get an email shortly stating the listing was cancelled and no funds were pulled.

So yep, y'all were right. And the OP and I are sad we didn't get our drives at a discounted rate.
Let me start by apologizing - I didn't mean to state anything about anyone in particular but about the situation in general.

To your point about the only one losing anything being the seller - you are assuming the seller isn't smart enough to build up their reputation in eBay and PayPal ahead of time and skating under the radar.
They do their best to either hack accounts with good reputation or build up reps for accounts.
Then it's just a matter of running the scam at the right pace to be able to cash out on *some* of their PayPal transactions. They don't care if they leave money on the table as long as they make a few k off something that can be easily automated and done at scale...
Again - none of this has to work 100% of the time, but this does work and bad folks can live comfortably off these scams.
Everyone's cost increases a tiny bit to fund these guys because people can't resist what is obviously a deal that's too good to be true...

Reactions: klui

evilpaul

Oct 15, 2020
I saw a report from someone on the Chia reddit about getting a Samsung drive that wouldn't work with their Magician software despite appearing to be a supported drive and looking legit in CrystalDiskInfo. So there could be counterfeits floating around. Or it could have been something else (OEM drive firmware?).

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
I saw a report from someone on the Chia reddit about getting a Samsung drive that wouldn't work with their Magician software despite appearing to be a supported drive and looking legit in CrystalDiskInfo. So there could be counterfeits floating around. Or it could have been something else (OEM drive firmware?).
Yeah, it's something else, like a bunch of bubble wrap if you're lucky.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I had the same on a legit 980 Pro, ended up needing to reinstall Windows.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
looks like the listing was already remoevd.

I don't recommend it. I had a phase when I was buying mostly obviously fake ebay listings in the hope of a deal. I never actually got a product. And while most of the time the transaction was automatically cancelled and refunded, a few times it was a bit of a hassle getting a paypal refund. And the hassle just wasn't worth the zero % chance of getting the product.

I see that you're good at fighting the ebay/paypal battle, but it just wasn't worth the time.

Is that a ChatGPT generated shitpost?
more like a spam affiliate referral to a website. but it's hard to tell the difference between chatgpt nonsense and previously existing SEO content farm forums spam nonsense.