samsung 960gb SV843 $350 obo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tigweld0101

Apr 18, 2015
@Patrick @PigLover @Patriot

I've been reading about the 840 EVO woes. Any reason to think these have the same problems? Are you planning on using these just as junk drives or putting into production. I thought Samsung's were good but that 840 EVO issue makes me shiver thinking about it.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've seen no indication that the 840 EVO problems manifest themselves on the SM/SV843 series drives. The software is substantially different. From a product family view they are closer to the Pro series than to the EVO.

Reactions: tigweld0101

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
@Patrick @PigLover @Patriot

I've been reading about the 840 EVO woes. Any reason to think these have the same problems? Are you planning on using these just as junk drives or putting into production. I thought Samsung's were good but that 840 EVO issue makes me shiver thinking about it.
These are not TLC these are MLC so no they are 840 pro enterprise editions.
the PM853T are TLC but 3dnand 850 evo dc edition.

tigweld0101

Apr 18, 2015
What @PigLover and @Patriot said is what i am thinking too.

there are significant firmware changes needed for MLC to TLC and 2D to 3D NAND. So as you cross those axis I think firmware gets substantially different.

Now, if you said is the 840 EVO issue a cause for concern on the consumer firmware guys at Samsung, possibly.

@Patrick do you agree?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
What @PigLover and @Patriot said is what i am thinking too.

there are significant firmware changes needed for MLC to TLC and 2D to 3D NAND. So as you cross those axis I think firmware gets substantially different.

Now, if you said is the 840 EVO issue a cause for concern on the consumer firmware guys at Samsung, possibly.

@Patrick do you agree?
I would not use 840evo in a production environment. First gen TLC still had some kinks. Enough to make me slightly nervous of TLC in general.
Any firmware update is risky and you should always let the pawns go first. For home use I wait 1-2wks before updating for work ~1mo. Let others find potential bricks.

Samsung has had some recent firmware issues but really are no worse than anyone else... they just sell more drives.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
These are very good drives, especially for what we paid for them.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes - especially for the price. I'd buy crap drives for fast volatile storage for $0.31/GB. But in this case we got large high quality drives at that price.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Drives arrived. Packaging looked like unopened OEM wrappers, but upon installing them they did have a filesystem and some data written on them. Seller indicated they had been installed for testing so no worries there.

They are HP firmware, so SMART is borked. Can't tell for sure power up time or write count but from the limited SMART data provided they do, indeed, appear to be lightly used (less than one hour power on, so couldn't have written too much). Drives test perfect, nice and fast just like you'd expect.

Feeling bad now that I didn't just take all 10 :( Might be a while before a deal this good shows up again. I'm guessing the seller tried to price just below the similar Samsung 960GB drives on eBay for a quick sale but didn't realize that the other drives were mostly the lower-quality SM843s and some of the newer TLC drives. This really was a steal for this quality of drive. I'm glad a couple of other people here got in on it before they were gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus