Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
They're only announced at present, supposedly available in october but I'll believe that when I see it... expect they'll be very thin on the ground until 2016. What's especially interesting about these is what looks like extremely high "idle max" (whatever that means) power consumption of 1.7W, hopefully that's just a mis-print... SM951 was an order of magnitude lower at 50mW.

What I've love to see even more is some more vendors getting in on the M2 NVMe bandwagon... it's feeling like a one-horse race at the moment and I think the rather high prices for anything involving an M2 NVMe are something to do with that. C'mon Micron, give us summink with the 88SS1093 in it!

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
These things should come with snap on heat sinks or wraparound heat spreaders, nice burst speeds but the existing ones start temp throttling pretty fast under sustained loads. In the long run I'd also worry about thermal stress from rapid cycling.

Some motherboards and most laptops will be out of luck since their slots are underneath GPUs or on the back etc, but at least have the option. The comparable intel drives can go up to ~20W TDP in larger packages.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
@Aluminum what I've been thinking too. No PLP (I mean REALLY should just have on everything now). Also there's like 0 chance Samsung is doing with 1-5w what it takes Intel 20w to do.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
What is the point in 4tb 850 pros? Be really bottlenecked by the interface...Wouldn't it be better to raid 0 4x1tb?
Also if you're using short depth chassis with 4x 2.5" spots, this lets you get 16TB not just 4TB. If you have beefy enough CPUs it matters because with shared hosting these days CPUs can handle many sites but you often run out of storage.