Samsung 840 (not pro) 500GB $280

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
not bad! Wonder why non-pro is so cheap, nobody must want it? I lost my first 840 pro 256gb. less than 3 weeks old (2 weeks with load) pushed by a 9260-8i with fast path (6xraid-10).

got a reset, reset, drive gone. other 5 drives remain operational and no loss of iops (odd, since i setup a proper raid-10 span rather than raid-1/1E).

Drive was using the latest firmware.

I can probably dump the logs but the other 2 servers rocking samsung 830's (fastpath too) are solid.

badatSAS

Nov 7, 2012
Boston, MA
I got one of the 250GB non-pro Samsung 840's last week when they were on sale for $140. The "why are these cheap" is because they're using TLC - one step worse than MLC from the reviews I've read. It would _NOT_ make a good ssd cache drive due to potential early failure of TLC NAND, but a decent medium duty / laptop/desktop end user drive, especially with Samsung SSD Magician allowing extra over provisioning options

badatSAS

Nov 7, 2012
Boston, MA
I was looking at the problem the wrong way - instead of "too many disks" the problem is "not enough SAS ports" for me =) I'll fix it soon enough