Samsung 830's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Yup just picked up a ton of these! not sure if the 840 pro will be as reliable. As long as you OP 20% these drives won't do the 10-20 second GC stutter. (no reads/writes during GC when pushed too hard and too hot).

Has anyone taken these apart to cool them down better? seems like they draw a ton of power and when they heat up too much they start to throttle themselves causing GC stutters. Causes all heck for some raid controllers.

Andreas

Aug 21, 2012
Not sure where your GC stutter is coming from.

I am using 48 Samsung 830 128GB without any OP in my workstation and I would rate the load as I/O heavy. With complete writes (meaning a full disk), immediately deleting most of the files, rewriting again and again without any pause in between. I've had a few days where the avg. I/O rate stayed above 10 GByte/sec uninterrupted for the whole day - producing close to a petabyte transfers.

Have yet to see GC stutter with the samsung drives.

wrt to cooling:
I am using Sharkoon's 6bay enclosures in my workstations. They were the most dense I could find (and reasonable priced)
http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1824

rgds,
Andy

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
I grabbed 2

btw, your pricing was incorrect :) Correct price was $149 (jk, givin u a hard time

Patrick, thx for the link