S9SCL-F, 1U cse510-200B, Heatsink for $119 FS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Oh My! This thread quickly went off-topic and turned into a discussion on ECC vs non-ECC and flaring tempers. Like @svt3391 mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been looking for a low cost & power consumption unit for pfSense appliance that has enough additional capacity to run other services such as OpenVPN, snort etc. I'll probaly go down the pfsense VM path once I am done tinkering with my ESXi home lab setup.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Like @svt3391 mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been looking for a low cost & power consumption unit for pfSense appliance that has enough additional capacity to run other services such as OpenVPN, snort etc. I'll probaly go down the pfsense VM path once I am done tinkering with my ESXi home lab setup.
Going further off topic, I bought Supermicro SuperServer 5015A-EHF 1U Rack Server -1.66 GHz for a pfSense appliance. It should be able to handle VPN and Snort too if I wanted. A bit cheaper and lower power than the X9SCL based box. You can find them for that price regularly if you wait. Like the X9SCL, they are always available at a hefty price.

rjoancea

Apr 28, 2015
So, trying to find a similar 1u for a pfsense build...not expecting it often to be peaking heavy load, how's the noise on this unit? Assuming a low power chip, will I be able to put this behind a door and not hear it?

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
So, trying to find a similar 1u for a pfsense build...not expecting it often to be peaking heavy load, how's the noise on this unit? Assuming a low power chip, will I be able to put this behind a door and not hear it?

I have a similar version of the case. My has the blower fan in it instead of (2) 40mm fans. they could be louder. If I have my pfSense box turned on in my closet and the door shut, it's pretty quiet.

Here is a thread I started about a similar build.

rjoancea

Apr 28, 2015