S2600CP2J and full size graphic cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Thinking about building a workstation based on this seeing how cheap it is on natex.

Main question I have is it seems the black 16x pcie slot is blocked by the memory module, so would have to install a full size card (like quadro 6000 or gtx 1070) onto one of the blue slots with the clip? would the heatsink on the chip set interfere with the clearance for the card?

What's your overall take on using this board as a basis for a workstation built? I can easily add a usb 3.0 card and that would bring it into line with a dell t7600. I don't like the dell t7600 or hp z820 due to a lot of customized hardware.

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
In case someone else needs the same advice, ill revive this and add my input given my experience with this as a deep learning workstation.

There are 2 Blue slots Located at the most ideal locations on the motherboard to facilitate multi GPU. But it does not work as expected.

Slot 5 (Blue slot closest to the CPUs) is linked to CPU2 and Graphics devices along with other PCIe cards will not work inside windows.
I dont know the whole dynamics of it but my observation is that, unless you use passthrough ESXi (that does not always work well. And when it does it isn't always simple to get it to work. You need to play with a few bios settings), cards in Slot 5 wont be available to the host so Multi GPU solutions don't work. But don't threat, there are solutions.

Easiest solution:
Get a PCIe extension cable. Not any one. It must have a Female Molex or 6 pin Connector for power. I have observed that the devices connected in slot 5 do in fact work and are detected but then maybe not enumerated and supplied power unless using passthrough. So if your pcie extension cable get power from the power supply using Molex etc, then the card is seen in windows 100 percent. Any card.

Slot 3 always works and along with every other slot except Slot 5, is linked to CPU1.

Using a Powered PCIe cable you can use SLI and CROSSFIRE on that motherboard. I have tested with 2 GTX 570s , 2 GTX 1070s and also an HD7970 together with an HD7950 in crossfire.

Solution 2( Risky and not Easy solution but 100% Works and Best Solution)
Use a soldering Iron and melt away the plastic blocking the end of the Black pcie slots. If u do not have plastic melting and blocking and pins and if u don't damage any pins then you can use the Black slots for multi GPU(they are all thr same 8x speed). But you also have to unsolder the motherboard bios/checksum Speaker. The speaker will obstruct the full length cards.

Solution number two is my final configuration for my s2600cp2j workstation as of right now. I used solution 1 at first but had to use the 16X Powered PCIe adaptor on anoter machine.

Last edited:

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
Finnal 2 points. The full length Slot. Slot 6, is not in an area with enough clearance for a full length card. You can use a Shorter card like Fury Nano or other Cards of that length.

If you are using SLI or CrossFire please note that you may have issues connecting both cards right away. Windows will somehow see the Cards closer to the CPUs as Primary and even during boot. But for some reason if both cards are installed the machine might reboot upon installing drivers.

Solution: install First card in bottom slot since the motherboard layout numbers the PCIe slots from Bottom Upwards 1 to 6. Install drivers With the card in bottom slot.
(Slot 3 if you didnt use solution 2 but Slot 1, 2 or 3 if Solution 2 was successful).

Turn off pc and install second card in slot closest to CPUs.

Connect Bridge and use card closer to CPUs as Primary card with the monitor connected to it.

Boot windows and Enjoy.

Using any other method Led to BSOD and reboot upon driver install with Crossfire or Reboot when starting a Game with CROSSFIRE.

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
Finnal 2 points. The full length Slot. Slot 6, is not in an area with enough clearance for a full length card. You can use a Shorter card like Fury Nano or other Cards of that length.

If you are using SLI or CrossFire please note that you may have issues connecting both cards right away. Windows will somehow see the Cards closer to the CPUs as Primary and even during boot. But for some reason if both cards are installed the machine might reboot upon installing drivers.

Solution: install First card in bottom slot since the motherboard layout numbers the PCIe slots from Bottom Upwards 1 to 6. Install drivers With the card in bottom slot.
(Slot 3 if you didnt use solution 2 but Slot 1, 2 or 3 if Solution 2 was successful).

Turn off pc and install second card in slot closest to CPUs.

Connect Bridge and use card closer to CPUs as Primary card with the monitor connected to it.

Boot windows and Enjoy.

Using any other method Led to BSOD and reboot upon driver install with Crossfire or Reboot when starting a Game with CROSSFIRE.
Photo of Solution 2 and powered 1x card

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk