S2600CP board - Need a CMOS flash for every boot, where the PSU lost power (on purpose)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
I've been battling my 2670 rigs lately and while they *finally* work somewhat well, I still have a big issue with an easy but annoying solution.

Everytime I run a rig with no power button from a case or otherwise have to kill it with the PSU button, it won't post on PSU power on again. Even on clean shutdowns from an OS.

I then move the CMOS jumper and clear the CMOS in a 20-25 sec boot and then move the jumper back to normal and boot and it posts and works. Usually, at least to CentOS.

I have updated BIOS to latest firmware but have not run everything on the milelong list of Intel board upgrades I'll admit.

Is this CMOS flash needed intended server room behavior or is there a BIOS setting I can set to make it "okay" for a board to be killed via the PSU button and keep the CMOS settings? ... Assuming normal shutdowns ofc.

Edit: Clarified title.

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
I have the same motherboard and basically the same problem. When I received it 3 weeks ago, I tested it and it booted without problem. Now as I was trying to put the system together, it just powers on for a second and the shuts off(sometimes it will repeat it in a loop every few seconds).
I tried all possible combinations of removing ram, removing 1 cpu etc... when I remove all cpu it beeps correctly so it's kinda alive.
I try to boot after a BIOS reset as you have done but it doesn't help, with still the jumper on "BIOS reset default" position it will beep with DC power failure(1-5-4-2) however I doubt the PSU is bad( I also tried a different one).
Somehow the motherboard seem to think the PSU is not providing power, I'd think there is a short on some component, but I've see several posts around the web describing a similar problem and it seems a bit far fetched that everybody has a short on the board.
Also I posted on Intel's forums, and the first 3 posts on it are all about this mobo not booting properly...

BTW my PSU is a Seasonic X-Series 850W

Alberto

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
Using a EVGA G2 750W cause it came with 2 EPS 12V 8pin cables. Y-splitters for EPS are impossible to find in DK and I have to return a pair I ordered by mistake now.

Still not found a solution to it but just gonna keep it under power as long as possible.

Sorry to hear that Alberto. Here are some quick things that may or may not help, just from own experience,
- When you go CMOS reset, do you leave it running till the blue-blink+green light on the CPU2 side goes away and then wait for the green light to come back on?
- You said it already booted. Have you perhaps bent a CPU socket pin while re-installing a CPU?
- Have you hooked a 6+2 power cable into an EPS 8 pin port by mistake or maybe if you use 8-pin(PSU) --> 4+4 CPU, one of the 4 pin things are not plugged in all the way?
- Maybe the MB is warped in the case? .. Try unscrewing it from the case and just let it rest freely on to of the cabinet screws and run it there.
- When I have the power-on-beep-a-bit-power-off-repeat stuff, sometimes 3-4 times in a row after a BIOS reset, I just have to wait long enough like 45-60 seconds total boot times and it boots something evnetually.
- Have you updated the BIOS to 2.06?
Download Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI

If at all you can get it to POST again, update the BIOS via USB stick, its basically enter-enter-enter. Mine was sort of more compliant after that.

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
Solved. I could only boot via PSU straight to BIOS with a clean CMOS. I had no case, once the case is there and there is a power button hooked to the Power, Reset and HDD light and stuff, then you can let it boot silently to the 2 green lights (on a full unplug of the PSU) and then hit the power button and it just boots, np.

So the solution is to case the board or add a power button wire hooked up to the MB.

lukegilson

Jun 8, 2016
This probably will seem like a dumb question. I've been reading the manual and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Where does the power switch cable plug into for the case power button?

I'm hoping this is correct? If not please let me know! I'm building a workstation pc with this motherboard with two e5-2600 family cpus

Last edited:

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
This probably will seem like a dumb question. I've been reading the manual and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Where does the power switch cable plug into for the case power button?

I'm hoping this is correct? If not please let me know! I'm building a workstation pc with this motherboard with two e5-2600 family cpus

That's correct. The wire for the Power button (a two-pin one) just has to sit on the two Power Button pins so it can short/connect them (which is what it does). So you can actually do it with tweezers and really steady hands too, if you are testing rigs I was told, but I did not test it.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Pro tip: A pocket screwdriver (or just a small screwdriver) works great for shorting power button pins.
Even better? Grab a power switch out of an old crusty case that's headed to the garbage/scrap and just use that (loose).

lukegilson

Jun 8, 2016
I suppose there is another question I have. Does this motherboard support non-ecc memory as well? I'm planning to buy ecc memory but I don't want to if I can use non ecc.

Last edited: