Ryzen Windows 10 A media driver your computer needs is missing...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I'm at a total loss. I can boot into Windows 10 installation media. Click install, then I get a warning that says "Load Driver" and in the window it says "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver."

I've downloaded all of the AMD drivers from their website. I've downloaded all of the Gigabyte X370 drivers. For BIOS I have tried the newest June version. I've set the Windows 10 to Other OS, Win 10, and Win 10 WHQL or WQHL or whatever. The storage is in AHCI mode not RAID. I've tried loading AHCI drivers.

I'm at a loss. Anyone? Why is this so hard?

I know... use Linux but this needs to be Windows 10.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Are you trying to install from a usb stick or dvd?
Was the iso complete? (Had a colleage this week trying to install server 2016 and failing with a similar result. Cause was a corrupt iso file)

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Are you trying to install from a usb stick or dvd?
Was the iso complete? (Had a colleage this week trying to install server 2016 and failing with a similar result. Cause was a corrupt iso file)
I used the Microsoft Windows installation media creator tool to make the USB stick. Maybe I will re-try?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Re-did the ISO once with the Microsoft tool and once with win32diskimager neither worked.

I tried every combination of USB 2 and 3 ports as well. This is just silly.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I'm at a loss... how the F...

I've only installed Windows 1000 times. This is crazytown.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Do you have another usb storage device plugged in? I have found sometimes installing windows another usb stick messes with the disk setup.

keybored

May 28, 2016
Do you have USB 2.0 ports? Perhaps on the back I/O panel of the mobo if not on the PC case itself? If so, try booting using one of those ports.
Some folks also report a rather strange workaround for this issue where you boot from your USB stick, wait for the error message to show up, cancel out of it, and then when you're at the welcome screen again switch the USB drive to another port and click "Install now"...

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Do you have USB 2.0 ports? Perhaps on the back I/O panel of the mobo if not on the PC case itself? If so, try booting using one of those ports.
Some folks also report a rather strange workaround for this issue where you boot from your USB stick, wait for the error message to show up, cancel out of it, and then when you're at the welcome screen again switch the USB drive to another port and click "Install now"...
No other USB devices other than the keyboard that works.

USB I have now tried every single port. Front, back. 2 and 3. All of em.

keybored

May 28, 2016
Have you tried the strange workaround I mentioned where you switch your USB drive to another port after getting the error?
Other than that, do you have another PC where you can verify that the bootable USB drive actually works? i.e., can you get to the OS drive selection screen on another PC?

keybored

May 28, 2016
If you know for sure that the USB stick works after trying to boot with it on another machine, you could also try downgrading USB port compatibility in the BIOS. Some versions let you choose USB mode; e.g., legacy, usb 3, usb 3.1, etc. If you don't know for sure that the USB stick is good then you could be trying to fix the unfixable. I also had issues with certain brands of USB sticks and nothing worked until I tried a different type/brand.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Tried different USB devices. That didn't work. I just installed Windows without activation on another PC, installed drivers in safe mode while swapping SSD to the new machine.