EXPIRED Ryzen Threadripper 1900X: $115 after Promo Code @Newegg

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
For that X399 board you bought and never got around to using. Its a "limited time" sale, and price is after a promo code (which is conveniently listed on the product page).

According to the listing, its sold and shipped by Newegg (not one of the shady Marketplace sellers). I've got no affiliation.

1st Gen Threadripper is old(er) now and this is the low end part, but I think its a good price for a new one. The performance has been eclipsed by current Ryzens, but sometimes you just want/need a bunch of PCIe lanes...right? If you've already got a motherboard that is; the motherboards still seem to be stupid crazy expensive.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8-Core / 16 Threads 3.8 GHz Socket sTR4 180W YD190XA8AEWOF Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
As if newegg themselves are perfect lol. Check out GN videos on gigabyte PSUs
Yikes! I had no idea that Newegg was so shady. I had come to expect it of Frys when they still were around, but had always considered Newegg to be safe.

As for the whole Shuffle thing.....not long ago, the Wife told me I could buy myself a new GPU for my birthday. I decided to be patient and wait for one at, or at least close to, MSRP. I didn't want to camp overnight at my local Best Buy, and after a few weeks on wait lists with all the usual suspects (EVGA, B&H, Adorama, etc.), I decided to try Newegg Shuffle. Since I wasn't in a hurry, I passed on the bundles and anything selling for well over MSRP. Even with their supposedly fair "non-scalping" shuffle, there're selling a lot of cards for $100+ over MSRP. I eventually got an EVGA one on my 2nd or third try, for $20 over EVGA's MSRP.

I'm now very glad I didn't fall for the bundle scam and only entered for GPUs by themselves. I agree with GN that offering many (most?) of the stock as part of bundles is pretty much a scam to take advantage of buyers who just want a GPU and can't find one for less than a kidney or their first born. It would be a scam even if the items forced on the desperate were decent quality. The fact that they were selling what they probably knew was crap is extra sh***y.

In the case of my Newegg comment above: I've noticed from reviews there's been marketplace sellers on Newegg selling used, in some cases damaged, Threadripper CPUs as "New OEM Tray" items.... and shipping them in envelopes. I had assumed that a new boxed product from Newegg itself was going to be a safer purchase, if only for the superior packaging, than one from the Newegg Marketplace.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I eventually got an EVGA one on my 2nd or third try, for $20 over EVGA's MSRP.
Im so glad im not a game addict. Bought 2070 in 2019 for future use in msfs2020, never had time to install the thing although i know 2070 wont give me great experience now i cant care less. But thanks to chia and overall crisis i do have to wait a long time to buy some gear for acceptable price(CPUs RAM SSDs HDDs). As for GPUs, unless you're in so called "AI" sector those things aren't essential and should never be purchased over MSRP.

I wanted to rant about the overall quality of prebuilds the other day lol. GN is so amuzing to watch while havin breakfast. I'll never buy one because I can assemble just about anything myself and do it right, but it's still fun and at the same time shocking. Things they're encountering are something I've never heard about or seen before, holy cow.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Im so glad im not a game addict
Oh, I'm a game addict either. But during the last year stuck mostly at home, the kids (teenagers) got my wife and I to do a little gaming with them. While everyone else had GPUs that could handle the games the kids recommended, there were quite a few that the Quadro P620 in my desktop just couldn't handle. Since I'm the one with a home office full of computers, everyone else had a good laugh over my computer being the one not up to the task.

So, for my birthday they said to make sure I got a GPU that was the "most powerful in the family." Of course, when I didn't install it right away, my son "borrowed" it (an RTX 3060 ti) and left me with his RX590. :oops:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
While everyone else had GPUs that could handle the games the kids recommended,
Man i just wonder what happened to games from 90s, 00s, 10s, they're no good anymore? When I purchased lenovo p340 tiny i did try (just for fun) portal 2 on p620 and it worked amazing, smoother than when I played it 10 years ago. p620 went off to the storage for quick swap in case any GPU dies and I would need a spare, p340 is off as a powerful linux workstation.

I was just thinking the other day watching all those reviews, there's a million games out there, many of them still have their netplay online communities and very active, why go the hard way and only pick stuff that requires 100exabytes of video ram for menu o_O