Ryzen Pro: What Is It?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Looking at some of the new X470 boards on Newegg I see noted "For Ryzen Series CPUs (Raven Ridge), ECC is only supported with PRO CPUs.". What does that even mean? When I Google Ryzen Pro I see some announcements from last year and a fancy page up on the AMD site but nothing other than that. What's the story here?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Ryzen Pro = (better binned) ryzen cores + addtitonal features like AES/encryption engine on die

They are similar to what the e3 and e5 16xx series xeons are for intel, business and workstation oriented chips.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't think amd is shipping them yet.

All shops that have them listed here (Germany) state a shipping time of 3 weeks and more.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Lame. The announcements I've seen were from last summer. We need Ryzen workstation parts ASAP!

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I want ECC support.
Technically, if you can find a vendor who's prepared to support ECC on their motherboard, you can get ECC "support" - since all of the Ryzen CPUs (with the exception of the Raven Ridge chips) support both ECC and non-ECC UDIMMs. So far I've not seen anything about Ryzen pro or non-pro supporting RDIMMs.

As far as I'm aware, ASRock (bias alert - they're my go-to manufacturer for motherboards) support ECC on all of their Ryzen motherboards.

But I agree, would be nice to see these "pro" chips in retail channels.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I would ask ASRock support directly if they support ECC with Ryzen "non-pro". They are usually quite cooperative with that kind of question which is why they are also my favorite motherboard brand.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
It's there on the spec pages for msot of their Ryzen motherboards, for example this from the mITX board I'm buying:

- AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Summit Ridge) support DDR4 3466+(OC) / 3200(OC) / 2933(OC) / 2667 / 2400 / 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
- AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Raven Ridge) support DDR4 3466+(OC)/3200(OC)/2933(OC)/2667/2400/2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
- AMD 7th Gen A-Series APUs support DDR4 2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Ummmmmm. well, yes there is a little bit of news about Ryzen Pro. From almost a year ago! Crickets since.

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
Some systems have been shipping for a while , so I'm not sure why the chips are so hard to get hold of.

HP EliteDesk with Ryzen 5 Pro has been shipping since last August for example

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
This is strange, I noticed it too. Should hit up some amd people on reddit, as they previously said RR would support ECC, it is just not "validated" and the vendor supporting in bios is up to them - the same kind of statement they made for desktop ryzen last year. (for reference, Epyc is considered "validated" and maybe TR too? clear as mud)

"Just like on Summit: this is not a feature we officially qualify and enable for consumers parts. But we also don't disable it. Full support requires mobo enablement."

Asrock seems to be specifically calling out Raven Ridge (2xxxG) as non-ecc, as they already support ecc on their boards with Summit Ridge (1xxx) and Pinnacle Ridge (2xxx w/o vega) is not expected to change this.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
What I remember is that AMD said that Ryzen supports ECC, assuming that the consumer Motherboard has the extra traces and Firmware support. Since now they are EXPLICITLY saying that ONLY Ryzen Pro supports ECC, it means that AMD may have begun segmenting the consumer platform features like Intel does between Ci5/Ci7 and Xeon E3.

As I have never hear about anyone with a Ryzen Pro, nor a Motherboard specifically for Ryzen Pro features (DASH? The closest thing to a BMC/IPMI in AM4? Where the hell it is, never have seen it working...), is hard to know if AMD is just announcing what features they want their Ryzen Pro know for, and if consumer Ryzen also has them or not but AMD doesn't mention them at all, like the original Ryzens with ECC.

Also, I recall that Patrick at some point did this rare article on how Intel vPro works for Tom's Hardware, but back when I searched info about AMD DASH, it was a feature on paper that no one implemented. Heck, the article is from 2011 and AMD had already announced DASH by then...