Ryzen Pro and ECC

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by gigatexal, Jun 29, 2017.

1. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

what’s the real deal on ECC and Ryzen. I have been reading a lot about ECC and Ryzen and the pros but last I heard it’s been spotty.

I guess I’m just getting antsy for EPYC or Threadkiller when do those finally get released

SlickNetAaron and Omazic.iv like this.
  2. SamDabbers

SamDabbers Member

ECC Memory & AMD's Ryzen - A Deep Dive

tl;dr: Ryzen's memory controller has ECC capability, but it's up to the motherboard manufacturer to run the extra traces and enable the BIOS options. AsRock's x370 Taichi and Gigabyte's AX370 Gaming 5 are two motherboards confirmed to recognize and enable ECC with the appropriate DIMMs.

Ryzen PRO seems to be the same silicon as regular Ryzen, just with AMD's remote management backdoor enabled a la Intel AMT/vPro, so probably the same situation.

Edit: Also it's Threadripper, which is objectively a totally awesome name for a processor.
    threadripper.png

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    gigatexal likes this.
  3. gigatexal

Ahh threadripper yes my bad. Good point on the ECC and the motherboard support.

4. w0mbl3

w0mbl3 Member

I'm hoping Ryzen Pro means we'll get more support for SOHO solutions - punching Intels E3 range on the jaw, with Tyan/Supermicro boards that sport an AM4 socket, ECC and IPMI.

As tempting as Threadripper is (agree on awesomeness of that name), I'd be content with a Ryzen Pro 1700 for light server duties (10G-capable NAS/database etc.).

cesmith9999, djbill and gigatexal like this.
  5. gigatexal

I too would like to see this.

6. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv New Member

I am so so glad that AMD is back in the game... for long long time it was not that interesting to see what will be available and what you will get in segment of cpu and mbo for good price. And this panic moves Intel is making are so funny, like they pull out from the hat i9 in 25 days after AMD presentation, yeah right, and all moves after that :)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. snakyjake

snakyjake Member

I read ECC is not supported, and is not 100% reliable.

8. mbello

mbello New Member

ECC is supported and reliable on Ryzen as long as you choose the right mobo. I think this has been demonstrated already.
    AsRock supports it on the entire line up, Asus says so as well.
    MSI as far as I know has no official word on ECC support so better avoid. Gigabyte only supports ECC on their high end motherboards.

My main issue with Ryzen motherboards is that they all seem to be targeted to gamers. Very hard to find an AM4 motherboard for a small server, with no wifi, dual Intel NICs (could we have 10Gbe?), no led circus, plenty of SATA3 ports and hopefully some IPMI solution. Maybe with Ryzen Pro we could finally have it?

gigatexal likes this.
  9. 4004

4004 Member

Finally got sticks of ECC DDR4... KVR21E15D8/16

Installed RAM in an AB350 PRO4. Multi-bit ECC is supported, per wmic commands.

Am impressed.

hmartin and gigatexal like this.
  10. gigatexal

great news!

11. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member

ECC support Ed but no VMware support yet. Waiting a gen.

On the pro... They need Vega graphics onboard to be competitive

12. ( )

( ) New Member

@Gigatexel Plenty of/Some Ryzen and Epyc Systems out now, Threadripper is less than 3 weeks away (Dell has some Info on their Site).

Ryzen does work with VMWare: How good are Ryzen CPUs for virtual machines? .

13. saivert

saivert Member

So far it doesn't look like AMD has positioned the Ryzen Pro line for use in workstation or server scenarios. It is just a business line of CPUs. Meant for OEM use in office computers etc.

I hope to be proven wrong on this but it looks to be Threadripper which is the real low-end server/workstation chip.

This doesn't prevent a motherboard vendor from offering a workstation centric board with some nicer features of course.