Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrBios

Feb 21, 2022
Hi Guys,

Anyone heard of any news about any vendors getting a Ryzen AM5 board with IPMI out early ?

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019

MrBios

Feb 21, 2022
ASRock, Supermicro, ASUS will all have bare bones servers for the AM5 platform, probably Q1.
so far Supermicro hasnt supported Ryzen AM4 , only threadripper and Epyc cpu's... will be VERY surprised if they support AM5

ASRock for sure will do AM5 but is very slow to prod... same with ASUS

surprised Gigabyte announced first.... but than i dont expect to see that MB for a long time... just like Intel 13th mobo with ipmi that GB took out still cant find them at any resellers... while i have bunch of supermicro 13th gen mobo in production

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
Gigabyte made odd choices. The biggest is that they are using one of the CPU's PCie x4 ports for the 10GbE controller. If my math is right, 2x 10GbE is ~ 2.5GB/s. Those x4 lanes are PCIe 5.0 from the CPU so this controller is only using ~16% of the bandwidth. Meanwhile, they are hanging a PCIe 4 x4 slot off of the B650 chip which has to share the PCIe 4 x4 link to the CPU. Seems to me that they should have hooked the 10GbE controller to the B650 chip, since it would use less than half the bandwidth to the CPU and used the x4 off the CPU for the x4 slot.

Not splitting the x16 -> x8 + x8 is also unfortunate. Lots of odd I/O choices on this board. Hopefully ASRock Rack will do a little better.

Reactions: UhClem and Aluminat

glow

Mar 22, 2022
Gigabyte made odd choices. The biggest is that they are using one of the CPU's PCie x4 ports for the 10GbE controller. If my math is right, 2x 10GbE is ~ 2.5GB/s. Those x4 lanes are PCIe 5.0 from the CPU so this controller is only using ~16% of the bandwidth. Meanwhile, they are hanging a PCIe 4 x4 slot off of the B650 chip which has to share the PCIe 4 x4 link to the CPU. Seems to me that they should have hooked the 10GbE controller to the B650 chip, since it would use less than half the bandwidth to the CPU and used the x4 off the CPU for the x4 slot.

Not splitting the x16 -> x8 + x8 is also unfortunate. Lots of odd I/O choices on this board. Hopefully ASRock Rack will do a little better.
My best guess is trace lengths. The 10GbE controller is right next to the CPU socket, whereas the chipset is on the other side of the board, near the x4 slot.

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
It's too bad Gigabyte didn't expose all of the PCIe lanes.

If the price is really in the $500 range, I'd expect to have access to all of the PCIe I/O. One more M.2 slot and additional full PCIe slot option would have made these boards perfect.

Hopefully Asrock comes out with a better design. I'll be waiting a while until ECC DDR5 is readily available anyway.

Reactions: T_Minus

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Reactions: Aluminat

Uncy_Dave

Dec 12, 2022
Asrock Rack has preliminary specs for their AM5 server boards: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=B650D4U-2T/BCM#Specifications

Looks good at first glance. They have a second model that drops 10G ethernet support but gives a second M.2 slot.

Great use of I/O, unlike the weird Gigabyte boards.
That looks soooo awesome! When is expected ETA? Limitation of 128GB for DDR5 memory?

Do the kits come with cooling? I really want to build one. The Ryzen 9 - 7950X has come down alot would be great server.

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
That looks soooo awesome! When is expected ETA? Limitation of 128GB for DDR5 memory?

Do the kits come with cooling? I really want to build one. The Ryzen 9 - 7950X has come down alot would be great server.
ETA is anyone’s guess at this point. 4x32GB is the maximum memory due to the CPU’s limit. Have to step up to the Threadripper or Epyc lines if you need more RAM.

This is motherboard only, so no cooling included. They have a separate barebones server that does include cooling though.

The AM4 versions of this board have been good (albeit with BIOS quirks) home server options for several years. I use a 5950X in their X470D4U. I’ll likely step up to the 7950X in this board when it’s affordable and available because I do a lot of compiling on the box.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
With the energy price spikes and the released of the non-X SKUs, what we only need is a great WS/server motherboard.

Perhaps anybody has already any experience with ESXi with Ryder 7000?