RX-427BB Industrial PC barebones (no ram) BO $125 accepted

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by arglebargle, Sep 28, 2018.

1. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

For pfsense how loud are these boxes?

2. nxsfan

nxsfan New Member

Out of the box they are too loud to have running in an office or similar. The CPU and PSU fans are quiet but the case intake fan is very loud. It is simple to unplug the case fan (or mod it) and I doubt you would have thermal issues if you were running in a room temperature environment.

I have been running pfsense on one of these (with an extra intel pci-e nic) for three months and it has been perfectly reliable.

gigatexal likes this.
  3. Geran

Geran Member

I want these but in 1/2u racks...hmmm

4. mimino

mimino New Member

Got the BE-171 version of DFI ITOX board, with external power adapter. IOMMU is not supported out of the box and there is no option to turn it on in BIOS, but I was able to get in touch with DFI support and they provided an updated BIOS version with IOMMU turned on. So if anyone needs it:

BIOS Dropbox - BE17XB8A.15A
    Flash Utility Dropbox - AFUDOS.EXE

Zhang and nxsfan like this.
  5. nxsfan

nxsfan New Member

Nice work mimino. Did you try flashing your box yet? The BE-170 in this box appears to be identical to the BE-171 minus the soldered on DC connection. I'm having some trouble using the AFUDOS utility.

I made a FreeDOS boot stick and put this AFUDOS.EXE and the BIOS on there. Invoking:
    - `AFUDOS.EXE` or `AFUDOS.EXE /h` results in a hang with no output and I have to hard power off.

MD5s
    AFUDOS.EXE: 91739a55b3584dfdad2631deb8928c0d
    BE17XB8A.15A: e260635bc60af883e024befafd8020de

6. mimino

mimino New Member

Yas, I did flash it the moment I got it. The only issue I ran into was that I had to use the '/GAN' option. Without it I was getting the "Secure flash function is not supported on this file" error. Apparently this option is gone from the newer AFUDOS versions, but the one I referenced still has it.

7. nxsfan

nxsfan New Member

OK. The problem was using HIMEM plus advanced features under FreeDOS. When I chose the most basic environment AFUDOS worked great.

Here was my flash command: afudos.exe BE17XB8A.15A /P /B /N /K

I did make a backup of the original BIOS although it won't let me attach it here.

The only difference I can see in the BIOS is the IOMMU option under the GFX Configuration sub-menu. I haven't tested IOMMU functions correctly yet but will update once I do so.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 9:38 AM
  8. FasterZcar

FasterZcar New Member

Just looking for a bit of clarity, so you flashed the bios image posted by mimino in post #44 on the DFI BE170 motherboard that's found in the DFI DT122-BE?

9. nxsfan

nxsfan New Member

Correct. Haven't done extensive testing but no issues so far.