run ESXi and OmniOS+napp-it from USB?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
I got a 16 GB USB3 drive that I'm thinking of using for running ESXi and napp-it app from. This way, I can use all of the SATA ports for HDDs. I think this is technically doable and much cheaper than me going out and buying 2 x 60 gb SSDs and losing 2 sata ports. Is this a good idea? I don't know how much IO there is on the USB3 drive itself once napp-it is up and running. And is Read/Write to the zpool going to degrade because of a slow OS drive?

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
I got a 16 GB USB3 drive that I'm thinking of using for running ESXi and napp-it app from. This way, I can use all of the SATA ports for HDDs. I think this is technically doable and much cheaper than me going out and buying 2 x 60 gb SSDs and losing 2 sata ports. Is this a good idea? I don't know how much IO there is on the USB3 drive itself once napp-it is up and running. And is Read/Write to the zpool going to degrade because of a slow OS drive?
I do not think esx will allow you to create a datastore on the usb drive. It will install on it but not let you define a datastore for your solaris OS to run napp-it on.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
I do not think esx will allow you to create a datastore on the usb drive. It will install on it but not let you define a datastore for your solaris OS to run napp-it on.
Would it be possible to do this if I leave, say, 8 GB of it as raw and have it install solaris to the raw space?

Or even, another USB 3 device?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Would it be possible to do this if I leave, say, 8 GB of it as raw and have it install solaris to the raw space?

Or even, another USB 3 device?
Not possible.
You cannot create a datastore (where you can place your storage VM) on any USB stick.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Not possible.
You cannot create a datastore (where you can place your storage VM) on any USB stick.
I thought the whole concept behind napp-it to go was to have ESXi and OmniOS+Napp-it run from USB? So there must have been a way to do this? I guess what I'm trying to do is make a napp-it to-go edition for my own hardware. Should I install everything unto a HDD and then clone it to a USB? How did you go about creating it?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I thought the whole concept behind napp-it to go was to have ESXi and OmniOS+Napp-it run from USB? So there must have been a way to do this? I guess what I'm trying to do is make a napp-it to-go edition for my own hardware. Should I install everything unto a HDD and then clone it to a USB? How did you go about creating it?
That is not correct.
Napp-it to go is a ready to use storage appliance barebone distribution without ESXi

If you want to virtualize a napp-it storage server with ESXi, you must look at the All-In-One concept where you can place ESXi onto an USB stick or local sata disk but you need the additional local disk to place the storage VM onto plus an additional controller in pass-through mode for your ZFS storage pool.

see http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/all-in-one.pdf