Rudde's Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
I read somewhere that you need two QPI links to have dual-cpu, I have no clue what a QPI link is but I know that the CPU in the review have two and the one I am considering only have one. So what is QPI and do I need two links for dual CPU?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You want E/L/X 5500 or 5600 series CPUs not the W3500 and @3600 series CPUs if you will be using the X8DTH-6F.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
What is the performance difference between ONE W3670 and ONE E5645 I don't have money for any crazy shit like X5670.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Well you can only use 1 Wxxxx series CPU in a Dual Socket board, so if you need more performance later you will have to buy two E/L/X series Xeons later down the road.

If you are buying a Dual Socket board, then you dont want a W series Xeon CPU because it only has a single QPI link.

QPI links are what connect the CPU(s) to each other if using more than 1 CPU (Dual Socket (DP) or Multi Socket 4+ (MP) Boards to the Northbridge (5500/5520 in the case of dual LGA1366 motherboard).

Also those two CPUs you mentioned above are identical except for two factors: Clock Speed and QPI Links. The performance difference is going to be the clock speed difference (.8ghz in this case). The amount of QPI links do not affect performance.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
So what should I get, a SAS1 motherboard with a singel-link connection to the Expander card and the W3670 or the dual stocket motherboard with SAS2 dual-link support and one E5645 and have upgradeable to one more.

Take in mind that the server will be used for, Filestorage, Webserver, videostreamer, FTP, Web, SQL, Virtual machine host, torrenting and other streaming AND HD video encoding.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Really it depends on how heavy the load is and memory requirements. The heavier the load/ more memory you need (e.g. if you expect to need over 24GB) will push you to the DP option. You can run a lot of things, but if they sit idle and do not use much memory you can run a lot on modern 4C/8T and 6C/12T CPUs.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
I know for a fact that ZFS need alot for memory, I was planning to give 512-1024 MB dedicated memory for web serving. And 2-4 GB to 2-3 VM's running at it, and I don't know how much memory DC++, torrent, streaming, ftp and all that other stuff use.. Any idea?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I would start with 12GB....i run a few VMs and do torrenting, Streaming, encoding and have no problem utilizing all of it.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
You will run out of Memory doing VMs much much faster than CPU power. So it wouldnt be a bad idea. Get a couple of E5620s and bunch of RAM.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
I'll think I go for single CPU W3670 and 12 GB ram to begin with and upgrade to 24 GB later.

If I need more I buy a dedicated virtual machine computer.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
Hi guys, I got everything (Not HDD'es yet, I guess I get them i june or july, okey?)

I was wondering why do I have 2 BIOS-battery slots at the motherboard? And why does only one of them have a bettery in it?

And here is the rest :F

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ah cool! I didn't load the pictures on my phone for some reason.

The second "battery" looking holder is the i-Button holder. Basically for way too much money you can buy an i-Button "key" to unlock additional features such as RAID 5 on the onboard SAS controller. My advice would be to skip this.

I am not sure what would happen if you stuck a battery in the i-Button slot, but I would imagine something not so good.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
Hello I just got my Expander card installed in the cumputer and I don't get up the hard drives (LSI 1068E controller) on the SUPERMICRO X8ST3-F motherboard. The card get pretty hot and I have 3 green ligths on it solig (of the 6) and one flashing, the one on the top is flashing and the three on the bottom are solid.

WHAT UPS? :( The hard drive show up if I connect directly to the controller.

I see they write open and closed on jumper settings in the manual, I was wondering is Closed means its going to be connected or not connected?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Use the jumper for IT mode and see if they show up. Also, make sure the expander has enough cooling. Finally triple check you are using the reverse break out cable.

Just checked my machine with this config and it is working fine with 22 drives attached to the expander at the moment.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
I have reverse break out cabel sata connections are connected in order (SAS0 -> SAS3) connected in port 8 on the expander, drive is connected in port 2 on the expander (the cabel is 1 meter long wich is what it supports (ordered 50 cm just now to test).

Yes I put it in IT mode, nothing show up.

and the cooling is okey. Its hot but its not like you burn of your skin hot

XZed

Feb 3, 2011
By the way, i'm currently faced to the same problem than Rudde : choose the best performance price for a Xeon CPU.

As stated here, when reading the specs the only technical detail that differs is QPI and this really impacts prices.

So my question is : Does 4.8 QPI REALLY impacts performance (UP or DP builds) ?

I just can't believe that there's a so huge price difference if performance impact is low.

Thank you