Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Just curious: are you trying to get the most out of the unit that is technically possible? Or do you actually have that many concurrent users that 1G backhaul connections would be limiting your throughput?
1 user can saturate a 1G connection easily and be limited by a 1gbps connndction. I see 115MB/s+ from a single client on a R730. It’s not as if you can only saturate with 50+ concurrent users.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
1 user can saturate a 1G connection easily and be limited by a 1gbps connndction. I see 115MB/s+ from a single client on a R730. It’s not as if you can only saturate with 50+ concurrent users.
I don't doubt that one user can saturate a 1gbps backhaul occasionally. But I'd like to keep this in perspective for the home user. If you're not permanently limited by the 1gbps backhaul I don't think it is worth upgrading the backhaul to 2.5 gbps.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I don't doubt that one user can saturate a 1gbps backhaul occasionally. But I'd like to keep this in perspective for the home user. If you're not permanently limited by the 1gbps backhaul I don't think it is worth upgrading the backhaul to 2.5 gbps.
That fair, but just for understanding. I am a home user, and the data I shared is that of a home user. This wasn't an artificial benchmark. Both my wife and I have devices that can individually saturate a 1 gbps connection when uploading home videos, photos to our local storage etc.
As a point of comparison, most folks aren't permanently limited by their ISP connection, but it doesn't stop them upgrading for the occasional times they do want that throughput. I can see why someone with a advanced AP with 2.5gbps backhauls would want to make use of it.

Reactions: Scarlet

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
That fair, but just for understanding. I am a home user, and the data I shared is that of a home user. This wasn't an artificial benchmark. Both my wife and I have devices that can individually saturate a 1 gbps connection when uploading home videos, photos to our local storage etc.
As a point of comparison, most folks aren't permanently limited by their ISP connection, but it doesn't stop them upgrading for the occasional times they do want that throughput. I can see why someone with a advanced AP with 2.5gbps backhauls would want to make use of it.
This is a hard one to swallow considering radios are half duplex. If you are running 160mhz wide 5 GHz maybe but you would be using the DFS channels and there needs to be no one around using some of the channels. It is coming I believe with 6E. My Cisco WAP51 wireless APs have dual ports but I cannot saturate with a one gig connection at home. My Cisco WAP581 APs only support 80mhz wide channels. If you add enough users but I don't have that many users at home.

Last edited:

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I posted some results previously in this thread, . The results of my chanalyzer scans are also available somewhere around here too.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Let me know if any one needs an R730,
Buy it now price is 300$ it’s in the US
I've been offline for weeks; and just saw your post.
"R730 for $300"
and my first thought was "wow Dell r730 has tanked in price the month I was away"; has it sold already and where can I get one. lol

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Multicast and Ruckus AP with unleashed. New info to me so I thought I would pass it along in case this may help someone else.

Unleashed Ruckus AP's will by default convert all multicast/broadcast traffic to unicast. This can screw up Sonos, Homekit, google home and others to one degree or another.
Ruckus separately controls well known multicast traffic, i.e. UPNP, BONJOUR, etc ..., (uses qos directed threshold) from other IGMP Multicast traffic (uses qos directed-multicast). Multicast Directed-threshold versus directed-multicast commands

Below is what I used to disable this on my r710, with a link to the post that brought it to my attention. To have these settings maintained even after a restart of the AP, connect to the master AP via SSH.

Code:
ruckus> en
ruckus# config
ruckus(config)# wlan "name of your wifi"
ruckus(config-wlan)# no qos directed-multicast
(The above command will disable directed multicast on the wlan interfaces.)
ruckus(config-wlan)# qos directed-threshold 0
ruckus(config-wlan)# end
ruckus(config)# ap-group System Default
ruckus(config-apgrp)# model r710 port-setting
ruckus(config-apgrp-port)# no lan 1 qos directed-mcast
ruckus(config-apgrp-port)# no lan 2 qos directed-mcast
(Depending on the AP model, the above line might not be needed)
ruckus(config-apgrp-port)# end
ruckus(config-apgrp)# end
ruckus(config)# end

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I'm having a weird issue with the Ruckus website. I'm trying to download the latest Unleashed firmware and am now getting an error that says "That file is only available to Premium Support users. " I have previously created a free account with Ruckus and that has allowed me to download firmware and release notes, but now, it looks like one needs a "Premium Support" contract? What the heck???

jjacobs

Dec 25, 2020
CO
I'm having a weird issue with the Ruckus website. I'm trying to download the latest Unleashed firmware and am now getting an error that says "That file is only available to Premium Support users. " I have previously created a free account with Ruckus and that has allowed me to download firmware and release notes, but now, it looks like one needs a "Premium Support" contract? What the heck???
Same here. The unleashed release dated May-10 is limited to premium support users. Older versions are still available with a free account.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 08.34.09.png

Maybe related to this: FragAttacks RUCKUS Technical Support Response Center | Ruckus Wireless Support

We'll see what happens with patched versions over the next few days.

Last edited:

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
I updated my 3 r710's to the latest yesterday, but did so from the AP and did not try and download directly. Had no issues then. I also have a free account. Hopefully, this is a temporary glitch.

EDIT: asked this on the Ruckus forum and their response was to upgrade directly from the AP as I did. They may be locking down the direct downloads. I hope this does not impact the Ruckus/Brocade switch upgrades going forward.

The lastest hotfix release 200.9.10.4.243 was to address urgent security fix for FragAttacks

Last edited:
Reactions: TXAG26 and jjacobs

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
Hi, I run into the paywall as well. I downloaded the next to last version which is still free and was then able to upgrade from the Ap web interface, like mentioned above.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
Does anyone know the required wattage to power the Ruckus R310? I am trying to findout what power specification I need for a POE injector to power it.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Does anyone know the required wattage to power the Ruckus R310? I am trying to findout what power specification I need for a POE injector to power it.
I typed "Ruckus R310 power requirements" into google.com and the first link is this which I think has the answer to your question, "
802.3af · 11W". Heres the Amazon link to the mentioned PoE adapter too.

mshook

Jun 9, 2020
Moreover, on my ICX, here's what I get for my R310:
Code:
 Port   Admin   Oper    ---Power(mWatts)---  PD Type  PD Class  Pri  Fault/
        State   State   Consumed  Allocated                          Error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1/1/11 On      On          4600      15400  802.3af  Class 3     3  n/a