Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
they're still actively pushing out bugfix and security fix firmware for 10+ year old wifi and ethernet switching products, it's all totally free, you just gotta make an account. In terms of openly supporting EOL gear ruckus is the best I've come across. They're still pushing out firmware for the FCX, a switch made by Foundry, which was bought by brocade, then bought by ruckus! they just won't quit
Firmware Question : Ruckus r510AP currently on firmware 200.9.10.4.212
SpeedTest shows unimpressive speeds and some googling seems to indicate others noticing slower speeds on the newer firmware and that 200.6 seems to be better for speed

The Ruckus r510 AP is plugged into Brocade 7250 on firmware 08092e

Is there any problems with downgrading the Ruckus r510 AP back down to 200.6 firmware ? (wanted to ask before doing it)

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
I haven't had any problems on 200.9.10.4.212 on a R710 ... I tested with iperf3.... not able to test it yet on broadband since my business line is only 50/10, but I'll be upgrading to att business fiber full 1gig in a few weeks.

Reactions: tommybackeast

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Firmware Question : Ruckus r510AP currently on firmware 200.9.10.4.212
SpeedTest shows unimpressive speeds and some googling seems to indicate others noticing slower speeds on the newer firmware and that 200.6 seems to be better for speed

The Ruckus r510 AP is plugged into Brocade 7250 on firmware 08092e

Is there any problems with downgrading the Ruckus r510 AP back down to 200.6 firmware ? (wanted to ask before doing it)
Wasn't there some problem with way Ruckus handled WPA encryption? The bug was fixed in the ZD releases but Unleashed took longer to get the fix. (example: Ruckus Unleashed slow speeds | RUCKUS Community) And there were loads of regressions on the way - but yes, 200.6 was supposed to be free of the WLAN encryption bugs

With a ceiling mounted R720 I get 550/750 mbits DL/UL to a 2019 MBP, in the same room. Both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels are set to BackgroundScanning - perhaps the forum users can wade in to give their opinions on ChannelFly vs BackgroundScanning? I've read somewhere to keep the 5 GHz band on ChannelFly and the 2.4 GHz band on BackgroundScanning

Reactions: tommybackeast

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
I’m having trouble with the iOS devices in my house with ubiquity APs. What are others experience with the ruckus brand ones? I like the single pane of glass experience with UniFi, but with 2 people working from home I’ve noticed more intermittent problems.

Also having trouble with Bluetooth interference, and wonder if the 2.4 ghz band on the aps is contributing.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Working from home, plenty of iOS and macOS devices. No issues at all previously coming from uap-ac-pro and would switch between 2 and 5G.

Reactions: John Burns

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
Does it matter if I would mix and match my existing unifi switches etc? Otherwise I may have to consider a complete overhaul.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Does it matter if I would mix and match my existing unifi switches etc? Otherwise I may have to consider a complete overhaul.
I can’t see why not. You just loose the data around access point statistics. If you have vlans, make sure it’s trunked to the AP port.

pypypy

Jan 6, 2021
Honestly I've ran a mixed wireless environment forever but always had issues with handoff and other annoyances. I'd get one r500 (super cheap) test it out and if you find it performs better then just sell all the ubiquiti aps. Switches don't matter unless you're getting newer models that support adding switches to the unleashed dashboard (not really useful for anything anyways). If you do end up getting newer ones it might be nice to get brocade switches too but not really important.

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
I have a house full of IOS iPhones and iPads in my house using 2 Cisco WAP581 wireless APs. Roaming is good. They are setup with Cisco's Single point setup as 1 virtual AP.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I think the R730 is to be avoided since it’s doesnt support unleashed and it’s not WiFi 6 certified.
So what R7xx unit would you recommend for unleashed? I currently have the R720 running unleashed and it's a pain that you need 2.5G network connection to get the full benefit of the unit.

nerdalertdk

Fleet Admiral
Mar 9, 2017
::1
So what R7xx unit would you recommend for unleashed? I currently have the R720 running unleashed and it's a pain that you need 2.5G network connection to get the full benefit of the unit.
Well to get more speed you need 2.5/5gbe but I’ll buy you’re r720 for a good price :)

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Maybe I am missing something but how is the 2.5G port limiting you, since the unit will run fine connected at 1G? I would consider the increased POE power requirements of the 720/730 units in order to maximally power the WiFi radios the limiting factor.

Reactions: Scarlet and TXAG26

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have the R720 running unleashed and it's a pain that you need 2.5G network connection to get the full benefit of the unit.
Just curious: are you trying to get the most out of the unit that is technically possible? Or do you actually have that many concurrent users that 1G backhaul connections would be limiting your throughput?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Just curious: are you trying to get the most out of the unit that is technically possible? Or do you actually have that many concurrent users that 1G backhaul connections would be limiting your throughput?
1G connection is providing what I need. No problem.