Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I'm not sure I get your point - english is not my native language :)

Yes, in the unleashed web UI can currently only configure port profiles on the H320 and H510. The Video (Configuring Ethernet Port VLAN Support using Ruckus Unleashed UI) mentions that other routers may be configurable in a future unleashed release.
I haven't had time to swap my unifi AP out for this ruckus yet, can you clarify: When you say port profiles, what exactly do you mean? I have an R710, and will need at least 2 SSIDs, one on vlan 10, and one on vlan 20 - will unleashed allow me to do that on an R710? I would really hope so, that's pretty standard stuff

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
I haven't had time to swap my unifi AP out for this ruckus yet, can you clarify: When you say port profiles, what exactly do you mean? I have an R710, and will need at least 2 SSIDs, one on vlan 10, and one on vlan 20 - will unleashed allow me to do that on an R710? I would really hope so, that's pretty standard stuff
Yeah that's no issue. Under the WLAN settings in the advanced options, you can set the Access VLAN for each SSID.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Yeah that's no issue. Under the WLAN settings in the advanced options, you can set the Access VLAN for each SSID.
Phew, I was going to say. After actually watching the video linked I realized you're all talking about trunking vlans in/out the extra ethernet ports

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
Phew, I was going to say. After actually watching the video linked I realized you're all talking about trunking vlans in/out the extra ethernet ports
I was not talking about SSIDs on different VLANs, that will work great. My response was to the original question asked, if you could take the extra 4 ethernet ports on the H510 and connect untagged devices in different vlans and carry those vlans across the mesh to R710 even if no SSID is assigned to the vlan. Which is yes but then what do you do with those vlans since you do not have corresponding untagged ports at that end of the link.

dreamsin

Oct 31, 2018
There are cheapish H320-s on Ebay in the EU.
Worth getting or are there any other bargain picks?

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
Ah, not such a difference in the US.

In that case I will list the differences:
- H320 does not support mesh, H510 does.
- H320 does not have a USB port, H510 does.
- The H320 is only 1x1 on the 2.4Ghz radio and 2x2 on the 5Ghz. The 5Ghz performance is close between the two but 2.4Ghz is half.
- H510 has 5 x 1GbE ports. 1 for uplink on the back and 4 on the bottom with one being PoE out. The H320 has a 1GbE on the back of uplink and 2 x 10/100 ports on the bottom with no PoE out.

If none of that matters to you than the H320 might be a good deal.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I wonder if there shouldnt be a H520 in the making, most of the others (i looke at) have been refreshed by now...

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
I would not consider buying the H510 as a regular access point because the PoE and Data IN Port is on the backside, so if you mount it on a wall you need a hole in the wall (e.g. outlet). I am only going to test it because of the additional 4 switch ports it provides.

Thinking a bit longer about what @ICXGURU wrote (Port profiles not configurable on most access points via Unleashed UI) I think that the LAN ports on R510/R610/R710 etc. may behave like the PoE and Data IN Port #5 on the H510, i.e. as a trunk port that accepts all tagged VLANs.

As you can see in the screenshot taken from the H510 configuration
snip_h510_ports.PNG
port #5 on the Backside of the H510 cannot be configured except for the VLAN ID for untagged Traffic. The port is shown as Member of all untagged VLANs 1 - 4094. Maybe the Unleashed APs simply pass all Untagged Traffic through the Mesh and each AP is responsible for picking the VLAN IDs that it needs for its SSIDs?

TODO: read up some documentation for the R710/H510 to find out if the behavior of the LAN ports is specified in more detail.

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
I would not consider buying the H510 as a regular access point because the PoE and Data IN Port is on the backside, so if you mount it on a wall you need a hole in the wall (e.g. outlet). I am only going to test it because of the additional 4 switch ports it provides.

Thinking a bit longer about what @ICXGURU wrote (Port profiles not configurable on most access points via Unleashed UI) I think that the LAN ports on R510/R610/R710 etc. may behave like the PoE and Data IN Port #5 on the H510, i.e. as a trunk port that accepts all tagged VLANs.

As you can see in the screenshot taken from the H510 configuration
View attachment 15806
port #5 on the Backside of the H510 cannot be configured except for the VLAN ID for untagged Traffic. The port is shown as Member of all untagged VLANs 1 - 4094. Maybe the Unleashed APs simply pass all Untagged Traffic through the Mesh and each AP is responsible for picking the VLAN IDs that it needs for its SSIDs?

TODO: read up some documentation for the R710/H510 to find out if the behavior of the LAN ports is specified in more detail.
The R series APs are not designed to be wall mounted. The antenna pattern is designed to be ceiling mounted. The H series is designed specifically to be wall mounted and not ceiling.

That is right... all 4095 vlans are tagged by default except the management vlan. As long as you tag the vlans from your switch into the AP, it will pass any vlan across the mesh. That is exactly what I did in the test I ran, tagged into the R710.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
The R series APs are not designed to be wall mounted. The antenna pattern is designed to be ceiling mounted. The H series is designed specifically to be wall mounted and not ceiling.
Interesting, this is the firest time that I see this mentioned specifically. The Ruckus documentation seems kind of vague:

Quotes form the Ruckus Indoor Acces Point User Guide
Antenna type and placement: Proper antenna configuration is a critical factor in maximizing radio range. As a general rule,
radio range is increased by mounting the antennas higher off of the ground.
In general, Ruckus recommends installing the AP away from obstructions and sources of interference and ensuring that the top
of the AP is pointing in the general direction of its wireless clients.
There are also some pictures in the guide that show how to ceiling mount or in what pattern to wall mount the APs. But nothing about which AP models should be placed on the ceiling and which on walls.

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
The quick start guide shows correct mounting usually.
Omni directionals like R series and T series omnidirectional mount dome down (although dome up is nearly as good depending on height)
H series and sectorized 30 and 120 degree T series should be horizontally wall mounted.

The H series data sheet gives it away "Multiservice 802.11ac Wave 2 Wired/Wireless Wall Switch"