Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
@epicurean
Yes, I've updated the repo with 2.5.8.

Just build using: docker build --tag openhab/openhab .
and run with
openhab/openhab:latest

For 3.0 I haven't updated yet. 3.0 still has a lot of stuff missing. 3.0 will use jython as default scripting language and I haven't migrated all my rules to jython yet.

Reactions: epicurean

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
@Sealside Sorry for my newbie question. But after I git clone your repository, removed the 2.5.7 image and docker from portainer. Went into putty to build the openhab docker container again. But I am not sure if its from your repository (which I suspect is not because its still giving the error about dependency), or from the official openhab hub.

I am completely clueless about 3.0 and its jython scripting. I dread having to rebuild my rules, although I do not have many

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
@epicurean

So, step by step:

Code:
:~/git> git clone https://github.com/seaside1/openhab-docker
:~/git> cd openhab-docker/2.5.8/debian
:~/git/openhab-docker/2.5.8/debian>
:~/git/openhab-docker/2.5.8/debian> docker build --tag openhab/openhab .
Successfully built 8df1ec563aa8
Successfully tagged openhab/openhab:latest
:~/git/openhab-docker/2.5.8/debian> docker run --name openhab --net=host openhab/openhab:latest
Run docker ps and note container id

Code:
:~/git/openhab-docker/2.5.8/debian> docker exec -it e5c580ac9faa /bin/bash
root@myopenhab:/openhab# expect
expect1.1>
Also note when starting the container with docker run, you need to specify ports and volumes and whatnot, this is just an example.

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
Just wanted to add another data point - I went from 2x UAP-AC Lites and a UAP-AC-IW to 2x R710s, and I'm pleased.

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
Just wanted to add another data point - I went from 2x UAP-AC Lites and a UAP-AC-IW to 2x R710s, and I'm pleased.
OK but you have done this config 2*710 with a controller ? or Cloud Controller? This is also a good question if somebody uses this Cloud Controler from Ruckus?

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
OK but you have done this config 2*710 with a controller ? or Cloud Controller? This is also a good question if somebody uses this Cloud Controler from Ruckus?
No, I flashed both units with Unleashed 200.7.10.202.118 so there's no need to have an external controller.

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
What with switching between APs/floors?
I have only 1 floor and ~2400sqft. I just swapped to it today so I haven't tested the roaming yet, although there are some config options for load balancing between APs that I could mess with. Quick speed test from my phone (V30+, 5ghz) about 50ft away gets me 350/300. My main concern was low latency from a firestick to stream HDHomeRun OTA: previously on the LITEs I had to set up a separate 5G only radio on the closest AP and use that, otherwise the stream would pixelate while playing OTA channels in real-time. Now I have no issues. I wired most of my house with Cat6 so I don't have too many wireless devices.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Anyone tried out v. 200.9.10.4.202 of Unleashed? I just saw it as an available update today on a R610 I was installing. Haven’t been able to find any release notes to see what changed or was updated.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Updated mine last night while doing some other network maintenance, saw some minor web management interface tweaks. was late and work came early for me, so spent little time with it. Now that I see it is yet to be publicly announced I hope I didn’t get caught in a release that was not supposed to be.

also saw this morning the ruckus unleashed ios app was updated at least partially to support 200.9 level firmware, so that is comforting.

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
200.9 finally hit their website, you can use the same link above. click any of them and it'll have a link to the release notes

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
I have a different question, did someone used the Ruckus Cloud Controller service for your Ruckus AP?

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
Usually when I'm in the far part of my backyard mowing (I'm on about a 1/3rd acre), my phone loses wifi and has to switch to mobile. I'm happy to report that I'm getting a much stronger signal with the R710, surprisingly at 5ghz. Phone was reporting 97mbps , so I'm happy.

Reactions: Sealside

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
I just ordered a H510 to add to my Unleashed network. The idea is to add this H510 using a Mesh connection and then use the 4 switch ports on the H510 to connect wired devices to different VLANs. Has anyone tried this? Will this work out-of-the-box or are there additional steps I need to take?

The setup would look like this.

Internet --(LAN)--> Router --(LAN)--> R710 unleashed --(WLAN/Mesh)--> H510 unleashed --(LAN)--> up to 4 Devices

The R710 currently has 3 WiFi Networks that are connected to different VLANs on my physical network. Will I be able to use these VLANs on the Switch Ports of the H510? Is it possible to transport more VLANs on the Mesh network that are not associated with SSIDs on the R710?

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
I just ordered a H510 to add to my Unleashed network. The idea is to add this H510 using a Mesh connection and then use the 4 switch ports on the H510 to connect wired devices to different VLANs. Has anyone tried this? Will this work out-of-the-box or are there additional steps I need to take?

The setup would look like this.

Internet --(LAN)--> Router --(LAN)--> R710 unleashed --(WLAN/Mesh)--> H510 unleashed --(LAN)--> up to 4 Devices

The R710 currently has 3 WiFi Networks that are connected to different VLANs on my physical network. Will I be able to use these VLANs on the Switch Ports of the H510? Is it possible to transport more VLANs on the Mesh network that are not associated with SSIDs on the R710?
You piqued my interest so I just tested and it does work even with no SSID on that VLAN. I used a switch at each side with VLAN 100 tagged on both ends to test connectivity.
ICX7150 - Tagged vlan 100 -> R710 <Mesh> H510 - Port1 <-VLAN 100 Tagged ICX7150

By default it is going to pass all 4095 vlans tagged plus one untagged on the H510 ports so you may need to edit the H510 port settings under
Access Points -> Edit -> Other -> H510 -> Port Setting.

1600193958749.png

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for testing this. I already watched some Commscope/Ruckus tutorial about the H510 port configuration, but from that it wasn't clear what VLANs would be transported in the Mesh. I mainly want to use the ports as "Access Ports" that carry only one untagged VLAN for client devices.

The alternative to the H510 would have been an OpenWRT capable router in "Client Bridge" mode, but that solution would only be able to use the VLAN attached to a single SSID.

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
Thanks for testing this. I already watched some Commscope/Ruckus tutorial about the H510 port configuration, but from that it wasn't clear what VLANs would be transported in the Mesh. I mainly want to use the ports as "Access Ports" that carry only one untagged VLAN for client devices.

The alternative to the H510 would have been an OpenWRT capable router in "Client Bridge" mode, but that solution would only be able to use the VLAN attached to a single SSID.
The problem you are going to have is that you cannot configure the port profiles on the R710 in Unleashed (You can in SmartZone) so its going to be untagged vlan 1 and all others tagged on the Ethernet ports on the R710. Even if you could , you can't have multiple untagged vlans out a single physical interface. The receiving switch would not know what to do with the traffic.