Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

danb35

Nov 25, 2017
I think most people don't even need Unleashed - if you're running a single Ruckus AP then the standalone firmware is completely adequate. Sure, it's ugly to setup, but I bet 99% of people don't touch their WiFi setup again once the initial config is done.
Thanks for the info. I'm currently running four Unifi APs--two inside my home (which is probably overkill; one would likely be fine), one on the front porch, and one in a detached workshop building. I could easily cut that down to three, particularly if coverage with Ruckus is better (as it seems to be), but not really less than that.

Right now I'm just playing with a R710 I got on eBay with non-working POE (though if there's a known hardware issue that's reasonably fixable with that, that'd be good to know) using Unleashed, and I like what I'm seeing so far. Not sure I'm going to do the "forklift upgrade" and toss the Unifi gear, but it's getting tempting...

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Well, I've just read through this entire thread, and it's got me interested in an upgrade to our home's WiFi infrastructure. I switched off of Ubiquiti some time ago, and currently have four CBW APs (three 240ACs in the house, a 140AC in the garage). We don't have a large number of WiFi devices (2 mobile phones, four laptops, a few IoT-like things), as I've tried hard to use wired connections everywhere I could.

Our home is wood-framed (built in 1920) and two living levels plus attic and unfinished basement (and there are WiFi devices in the basement). It's 1000 sq ft per level, relatively square floors, and there are some plaster-and-lath walls although most walls are drywall. There is a brick chimney nearly in the center of the house (unfortunately) which extends from the basement floor to the bottom side of the second floor.

Right now I've got an AP in the center of the attic ceiling to provide coverage to the second floor, and two APs on the first floor ceiling (midway between the center and corner of the house, on diagonally opposite corners) to provide coverage to the first floor and basement.

The reason I'm thinking of making a change is that we're heavily dependent on WiFi calling in this house; our phones use the T-Mobile network, but due to topography issues T-Mobile LTE/5G coverage at our house is weak on its best day, and unusable on most days. Most of our WiFi calls are OK, but frequently we have one-way-audio issues or other weirdness that we don't experience wen using WiFi calling in other locations. I'm fairly certain this not the fault of the router or uplink (EdgeRouter 4 connected to FIOS ONT via Gigabit Ethernet), but could be wrong :)

I'm trying to figure out what a decent combination of Ruckus APs would be here; I could easily put an R710 in the attic and that would probably cover most of the house, except for the shadows created by the chimney underneath it. I could also easily replace the first floor APs in their current locations, although given the Ruckus APs' better coverage that seems like overkill.

I'm planning on using Unleashed to manage them, which is nearly the same situation as the CBWs, and will probably get an R510 for the garage.

Finally, while we're not in an apartment, we are surrounded by houses of similar size and so there is a lot of WiFi interference; every house has 2-4 SSIDs being broadcast on both bands.

I'm open to any suggestions as to how to improve the situation here. Thanks in advance for your guidance (this forum was immensely useful in my wired network upgrade, which resulted in a 4-unit stack of ICX 7150-C12Ps replacing EdgeSwitches, and which are working fabulously).

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
And because ZoneDirector 1200's software is x86, and was designed to run fine on their developer's PCs, my assumption is that I'll have no roadblocks virtualizing a ZD from their installation images (which I won't feel guilty about once they stop selling them at the end of the month).
A ZD VM is an interesting way to run a mix of Ruckus APs since I think Unleashed requires the same version of firmware on all of them. Do post when you've been able to do this successfully.

Reactions: abq

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
The reason I'm thinking of making a change is that we're heavily dependent on WiFi calling in this house; our phones use the T-Mobile network, but due to topography issues T-Mobile LTE/5G coverage at our house is weak on its best day, and unusable on most days. Most of our WiFi calls are OK, but frequently we have one-way-audio issues or other weirdness that we don't experience wen using WiFi calling in other locations. I'm fairly certain this not the fault of the router or uplink (EdgeRouter 4 connected to FIOS ONT via Gigabit Ethernet), but could be wrong :)
I feel your pain, man. My wife and I had VZW for years, and recently switched to ting (t-mobile network). Our rural/suburban street has always had AWFUL cellular coverage. Most of the house usually has 0 bars. If you stand in the kitchen by the bay window you might get 1 bar. So we rely heavily on wifi calling, and it works fine. I have 2 R710s in our 1600 sq-ft house - one in the finished basement, and one in the dining room upstairs, running unleashed. Moved from unifi last year, and never looked back.

Reactions: kpfleming

danb35

Nov 25, 2017
my assumption is that I'll have no roadblocks virtualizing a ZD from their installation images
This seems like it'd be an interesting project to follow. A used ZD1200 from eBay is pretty cheap, but running the software on my existing Proxmox cluster still seems more efficient.

Reactions: Vesalius

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Took the plunge and ordered a used R710 from an eBay seller ($250 with 60-day seller-pays-shipping return policy). Now if I could just find a mounting bracket... they seem to be hard to find.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Reactions: kpfleming

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Yeah, id be interested too. I run a zd1200 now, but if i could virtualize it...
Is the internal storage soldered on or removable for those? If it's X86 and Linux, you could try fudging the Veeam Linux agent onto it. Probably end in tears, but might be an interesting experiment.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Is the internal storage soldered on or removable for those? If it's X86 and Linux, you could try fudging the Veeam Linux agent onto it. Probably end in tears, but might be an interesting experiment.
I have not opened it up, i have a valid support contract so not up for tinkering ;)

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
You can root the ZD, so assuming veeam works on ancient busybox/uclibc distros then it'd be no big deal to install interactively rather than mounting the cfcard elsewhere. There's 55MB free space in /, and 1.4GB free space in /writable.

And if you got it working nicely then it's straightforward to patch extra content into installation images.

The internal storage is an industrial 2GB CF Card. It contains a pretty standard embedded Linux setup: grub, an ancient busybox based linux install (2.6.32.24) - ext2 boot & root partitions (+ a backup root partition) and a reiserfs rw partition (1.5GB). Very happy to provide a CF Card image to anyone who wants it.

Last edited:

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
You can root the ZD, so assuming veeam works on ancient busybox/uclibc distros then it'd be no big deal to install interactively rather than mounting the cfcard elsewhere. There's 55MB free space in /, and 1.4GB free space in /writable.

And if you got it working nicely then it's straightforward to patch extra content into installation images.

The internal storage is an industrial 2GB CF Card. It contains a pretty standard embedded Linux setup: grub, an ancient busybox based linux install (2.6.32.24) - ext2 boot & root partitions (+ a backup root partition) and a reiserfs rw partition (1.5GB). Very happy to provide a CF Card image to anyone who wants it.
Doubt VAL would launch in that environment. But being a CF card means you can slap it in a USB reader and image it, so performing a cold P2V would theoretically be possible. Getting the virtual NIC drivers into it (if required, most virt platforms can fake an Intel E1000), and the storage controller driver, those might be problems.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Doubt VAL would launch in that environment. But being a CF card means you can slap it in a USB reader and image it, so performing a cold P2V would theoretically be possible. Getting the virtual NIC drivers into it (if required, most virt platforms can fake an Intel E1000), and the storage controller driver, those might be problems.
Oh, I see what you're getting at. For sure I already P2Vd the thing and did some initial looking at why the kernel didn't like my VM.

My next plan is to try to get the necessary services running on a different distro, since I had some initial promising results with a qemu chroot.

Failing that, the Xclaim xi3 source code drop included kernel patches for lots of Ruckus stuff including an x86 ZoneDirector. So I can maybe build a kernel which works and slip it into my vhdx.

I can only really spend a couple of hours each week on tinkering with the Ruckus stuff, so it might take a while or I might find something more interesting and abandon it.

If anyone has a ruckus support contract they might try requesting the GPL source. Ruckus refuse to send it to me because I don't have an active support contract (which is not how the GPL is supposed to work).

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
My R710 with ZoneFlex firmware arrived today. I reflashed it with Unleashed, followed the Blackwire guide to set it up (mostly), and it's installed in a temporary location in the basement. I've only associated my phone and one laptop with it so far, the rest will wait until this weekend when I can mount it properly on the 2nd floor ceiling, but so far it's working very well indeed.

Reactions: custom90gt

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Interesting... Does this work on SmartZone too? Or the IOT-Cont?
Not as-is. And I don't have a SmartZone set up anymore, so no quick way for me to check what's involved.

ZoneDirector & Unleashed were quite easy to patch:-
  • They have tiny Linux installs, so even a non-linux dummy like me can see exactly how they work.
  • Their packages and backups use very basic 'encryption' which was easy to reverse-engineer; and they will happily run whatever arbitrary code you poke inside an upgrade package. Plus old OS versions give you a root shell, which you can use to test code.
  • Their license signatures are only validated during upload.
    So if you use a root shell or an upgrade package to poke licenses directly into the filesystem then validation is bypassed. Or you can patch the validation function so it pokes licenses into whatever file was uploaded.

For SmartZone, I guess you can just inject code directly into virtual disk, even if they properly secured upgrades.
But I seem to remember (it was a few years ago when I looked) that they used a full CentOS 7 install, and the license checks weren't so straightforward to find.
I know what to look for now, so maybe it's easier than I thought. Or I might try replacing their private keys with one of my own, then signing my own licenses.
I can't really be bothered though - Unleashed and ZoneDirector work just great for home use, and I'm a Luddite with no IoT.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Not as-is. And I don't have a SmartZone set up anymore, so no quick way for me to check what's involved.
I can't really be bothered though - Unleashed and ZoneDirector work just great for home use, and I'm a Luddite with no IoT.
Virtual Smartzone to play with?;)
And lol, too bad - i have IOT capable APs and IOT sticks and can't use them since the IOT controller
1. wants licenses (which I would have considered)
2. only works with SZ (which i found out after buying a ZD)

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Virtual Smartzone to play with?;)
I did grab a vSZ 6.1 vhd when I saw your email, but loopback mounting the partitions into WSL didn't immediately 'just work', so I went back to my real job. Maybe I'll look later, or maybe I'll find my old mount script.

And lol, too bad - i have IOT capable APs and IOT sticks and can't use them since the IOT controller
1. wants licenses (which I would have considered)
2. only works with SZ (which i found out after buying a ZD)
:p

Reactions: Rand__