Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gerby

SREious Engineer
Apr 3, 2021
I did; I'll try turning off smart select / ChannelFly.

Somewhat related: I did note that while running a speed test on a client while it was still connected to the R730 that the Ubiquiti SSID throughput collapsed. This was with 80mhz channels and the Solo firmware. I suspect that the issue here was actually that the two APs are about a foot apart and the RF frontend on the UAP-AC-HD was just overloaded.
Following up here:

* Turning off channelfly seems to have resolved the issue with clients disconnecting.
* Statically setting the channel to something not overlapping the UAP's 160mhz range has resolved the speed problems between the two.

So far the "goodput" on the UAP-AC-HD with 160mhz channels is only ~100mbit better than the R730 with 80mhz channels despite clients linking up at 1700mbit on the UAP. I'm pretty impressed. This goodput may change as I migrate clients over though.

jmsq

Dec 30, 2019
Ok, so I got a pair of R730s as an experiment coupled to a Davuaz Da-K6402WP PoE switch (2.5gbe, 30w max per port, 75w power envelope). I crossflashed them to the R850 unleashed firmware and I think I can largely mirror what people have seen here, but I'll point out a few items I think are noteworthy:
  • It defaults to 802.3af on the Davuaz which wasn't ideal. Cranking it up to 802.3at was still causing it to complain about lack of power, so I put it into 802.3bt/class5 mode even though the Davuaz in theory can't handle the peak (35w vs 30w max per port). This at least caused it to stop complaining in the web interface and the radios seemed to act better, but I was also seeing the PoE port drop from 2.5gbe to 1gbe on the controller node.
  • 160mhz definitely appears to have problems, and it appears to manifest differently depending on the client chipset involved. Intel AX chips seem to be largely unaffected, but upload speeds severely tanked (down to 200Mbps from 600+) on my Pixel 7 Pro, and I later noticed my iPhone and other Pixel clients would end up with hung/lost connectivity after a while. I haven't tested 80mhz as extensively, but it appeared to be rock solid at roughly the max speeds it should be capable of (700-800Mbps both directions) in my limited tests.
  • I think my secondary AP might be running into boot loop issues. I'm not sure if this is power related due to the switch or if this particular unit is actually having trouble after the crossflash.
In short, I tried putting them into production around the house hoping to improve my 5ghz 160mhz-capable coverage, but that appears to be bust at this point, unless the DC power adapters on the way change the situation significantly. That being said, if 80mhz stays stable, it'll still be an improvement over the 2x2 80mhz 5ghz radios that came with my cheap 6ghz rollout (refurb Linksys MR7500s) and will improve coverage around the house with the Linksys APs relegated to 6ghz-only operation.

Reactions: gerby

gerby

SREious Engineer
Apr 3, 2021
Ok, so I got a pair of R730s as an experiment coupled to a Davuaz Da-K6402WP PoE switch (2.5gbe, 30w max per port, 75w power envelope). I crossflashed them to the R850 unleashed firmware and I think I can largely mirror what people have seen here, but I'll point out a few items I think are noteworthy:
  • It defaults to 802.3af on the Davuaz which wasn't ideal. Cranking it up to 802.3at was still causing it to complain about lack of power, so I put it into 802.3bt/class5 mode even though the Davuaz in theory can't handle the peak (35w vs 30w max per port). This at least caused it to stop complaining in the web interface and the radios seemed to act better, but I was also seeing the PoE port drop from 2.5gbe to 1gbe on the controller node.
  • 160mhz definitely appears to have problems, and it appears to manifest differently depending on the client chipset involved. Intel AX chips seem to be largely unaffected, but upload speeds severely tanked (down to 200Mbps from 600+) on my Pixel 7 Pro, and I later noticed my iPhone and other Pixel clients would end up with hung/lost connectivity after a while. I haven't tested 80mhz as extensively, but it appeared to be rock solid at roughly the max speeds it should be capable of (700-800Mbps both directions) in my limited tests.
  • I think my secondary AP might be running into boot loop issues. I'm not sure if this is power related due to the switch or if this particular unit is actually having trouble after the crossflash.
In short, I tried putting them into production around the house hoping to improve my 5ghz 160mhz-capable coverage, but that appears to be bust at this point, unless the DC power adapters on the way change the situation significantly. That being said, if 80mhz stays stable, it'll still be an improvement over the 2x2 80mhz 5ghz radios that came with my cheap 6ghz rollout (refurb Linksys MR7500s) and will improve coverage around the house with the Linksys APs relegated to 6ghz-only operation.
I have mine plugged into an ICX7250 with POE and I'm noticing that the LLDP the switch is receiving from the AP does not include any power information which I found odd.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
It worked fine. But throughput on my other APs dropped to zero, then recovered when I switched back to 80MHz. Maybe it was a fluke but there are notes elsewhere that 160MHz doesn't work on this chipset.

I'd rather say "don't use 160MHz" than be responsible for killing your neighbours' internet.
Where do you configure the 80 or 160MHZ in the Unleash interface?

vulture

Jan 3, 2021
I have mine plugged into an ICX7250 with POE and I'm noticing that the LLDP the switch is receiving from the AP does not include any power information which I found odd.
mine are plugged into a 7150-24p (forced to bt mode in unleashed) and from what the switch is reporting (show inline power) the 730s are consuming sub 20W, I assume this goes up with more clients connecting and beamflex working its magic.

theorangeisred

Feb 22, 2024
At home I'm using 2x of the Ruckus r510's running unleashed. While they are defiantly old units and don't have the fastest new standards built into them they are rock solid stable and I've had zero issues with them. It's been a set it up and forget about it experience and they just plain work.

I'm amazed that Ruckus is still releasing firmware for this old of a device.

At work we use Ruckus r750's which have been equally as solid.

Reactions: RoachedCoach

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
I'm not sure what this tells me about my r730...
but it's been running on Solo v114 for 4 days 5hrs without any problems/crash.

For those who used solo to confirm they didn't have a faulty/dodgy r730, what test/metric did you use?
So my 730 on Solo seemed to run fine for 6 days straight - although it's hard to confirm the absence of kernel panics as solo's logs are very limited (duration and quality). The uptime reached 6 days however, whereas unleashed would panic and reboot, resetting the uptime.

I just installed an older version of Unleashed (v200.13.6.1.319) to check if the issue was related to the newer features... but this has already panicked once just after first boot. I'll leave it running as I expect another panic within 24 hours.

Does it make sense that the r730 would work fine on Solo but not unleashed? (I realise it's not meant to run unleashed, but I'm curious if we have a more 'technical' reason).

I may install ZD next, to check if it panics at all.

Also, is there a way to completely reset the firmware to stock @ms264556? (removing all those patches/enhancements? - eg: country code, root exploit, etc.). I want to go back to 100% stock if possible and retry from there.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
On APs, country code and root can't really cause any issues, but I agree it's good to back these changes out if you're returning.

You can set the country to US (set rpmkey wlan-country-code US) and then re-lock (rbd country 1).

You can remove the root shell script by running rm /writable/etc/scripts/.root.sh from a root shell.

If you applied an ECDSA patch then you can apply the appropriate 'generate RSA key' patch from the ECDSA patch page.

If you want to test ZD firmware but don't have a ZD1200 then you can contact me privately and I can join you to mine.

Reactions: iceman_jkh

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
On APs, country code and root can't really cause any issues, but I agree it's good to back these changes out if you're returning.

You can set the country to US (set rpmkey wlan-country-code US) and then re-lock (rbd country 1).

You can remove the root shell script by running rm /writable/etc/scripts/.root.sh from a root shell.

If you applied an ECDSA patch then you can apply the appropriate 'generate RSA key' patch from the ECDSA patch page.

If you want to test ZD firmware but don't have a ZD1200 then you can contact me privately and I can join you to mine.
As always.. thanks for the useful info!

I have reverted the country and root, but never applied the ECDSA patch in the first place.
I was wondering however, as I use Putty on Win10, I never used ssh -oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-rsa . I simply logged in via the putty gui and clicked YES to the security pop up.
I don't believe it would, but could this be causing an issue? All the instructions from your site still worked as expected.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
-oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-rsa is only needed if you have a recent openssh client, which has deprecated ssh-rsa. I assume putty is still running an older version of the openssh code, patched out the deprecation, or doesn't use openssh code at all.

Reactions: iceman_jkh

Gerhen

Nov 29, 2023
Hi all,

Should the access vlan for your "main" network match the vlan ID used on the switch or should it be set to 1 on Unleashed?

Reason for asking is that I noticed that devices on my main (trusted) network were showing the access vlan as = 1 in Unleashed, so I changed it to vlan 20 as this is how this network is configured in the switch (ICX). Only devices assigned to VLAN 20 have access to the 5ghz network and upon changing access vlan from 1 -> 20 all connectivity on the 5ghz network ceased.

The access points are also on the 10.0.20.x network ... how should the access vlan setting in Unleashed be configured for this network?

1708707933646.png

Code:
vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
!
vlan 20 name VL20_MAIN by port
tagged ethe 1/2/1
untagged ethe 1/1/21 to 1/1/48 ethe 1/2/2 to 1/2/8
!
vlan 40 name VL40_IOT by port
tagged ethe 1/1/21 ethe 1/1/23 ethe 1/1/25 ethe 1/2/1
untagged ethe 1/1/7 to 1/1/16
!
vlan 255 name VL255_TS by port
untagged ethe 1/2/1
!
!
!
!
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.0.255.254 <-- this is static route to the firewall/WAN uplink

gerby

SREious Engineer
Apr 3, 2021
Another update on my experiences:

* 80mhz on the R730 crossflash is as performant or more performant as 160mhz on the UAP-AC-HD.
* 160mhz does work on the R730 crossflashed however some clients (Google Pixels in my testing) have trouble with uploads being capped around 100mbit/s.
* I used https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VV4DM6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJLZGPF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details to ensure full power was available.
* Channelfly is working fine after having time to settle.
* Wifi calling was pretty easy to setup and anecdotally seems to have slightly improved call quality.

I'm generally pretty happy.

nosar77

Dec 13, 2023
Update after buying and flashing my R730 a few months ago, The only issue I encounter is, if the the AP loses power, usually suddenly. It cannot recovery properly and constantly reboots until i factory reset it. Anyone run into this issue? I plan on getting a second AP however I have a fault R610 I bought but it has an issue with very high latency, and I was considering a R650 but very expensive and might not make since considering I have an R730, Im just considered about getting another R730 with the same issue. I'm thinking this may be related to the fact that my switch can only do POE and not POE++ working on getting a Ruckus ICX7150-C12P compact.

What do you think?