Ruckus WIFI-6E AP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Well I just spent a couple of hours troubleshooting this and still cannot figure it out.

I did set my 2.4ghz to 40mhz and it is faster. After setting the AP in "optimize for performance" I was able to set the 5gz in 160mhz and it's faster, but tops out at 600mbps on multiple AX devices. The only problem with that is now my 2.4ghz download speed seems to have an issue and is slower.

So now I'm back on "optimize for compatibility" and the 5ghz band is limited to 80mhz width.

I did plug into the extra port on the AP and my desktop will get 900mbps down through that port (for comparison it gets 1.7gbps on the 10gb connection).

So I'm pretty much at a loss. I love the reliability of the AP and the range, but I'm less than impressed with the performance.

I had been pondering getting a switch that has 10gb and 2.5gb ports (something like the QNAP QSW-2104-2T) so I can have my AP on 2.5gb, but that seems like a lot of money for limited benefit.
I just installed Unleashed (200.12.10.105.100) onto one of my R650s, factory reset, chose US as my country, and cleared my existing APs off channels 36-64.
I set the AP to optimize for performance, set the 5Ghz band to 160Mhz width, and manually set the channel to 48.
Right after configuring the channels I was getting 600Mbps, but after a few minutes the AP restarted itself, and I've been getting ~800Mbps for the past half hour (all speeds from fast.com website).

(When I borrowed this R650 from my lounge for testing I replaced it with an old R600. I just connected to the R600 and I'm getting 410Mbps).

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
I just installed Unleashed (200.12.10.105.100) onto one of my R650s, factory reset, chose US as my country, and cleared my existing APs off channels 36-64.
I set the AP to optimize for performance, set the 5Ghz band to 160Mhz width, and manually set the channel to 48.
Right after configuring the channels I was getting 600Mbps, but after a few minutes the AP restarted itself, and I've been getting ~800Mbps for the past half hour (all speeds from fast.com website).

(When I borrowed this R650 from my lounge for testing I replaced it with an old R600. I just connected to the R600 and I'm getting 410Mbps).
Thanks for testing that, I'm back on the 80mhz band because of issues with the download speeds on 2.4ghz when enabling the 160mhz band. I may try out the Engenius since Ruckus isn't quite measuring up to the hype.

Reactions: elvisimprsntr

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
I may try out the Engenius
Amazon has a fairly liberal return policy if it doesn't meet your expectations. Just make sure it ships and is sold by Amazon when you place the order.

FYI, the EWS377APv3 intentionally does not support 160Mhz, which you can only use on DFS channels, and dynamically switches or down selects to avoid radar interference. As a result, 160Mhz was never able to reach it's full potential, hence the reason we have 6MHz (WiFi 6E). I refuse to pay for overpriced 6E hardware, besides I don't have any 6E clients.

People really shouldn't enable 2.4GHz 40MHz channel width. All it does it overlap with neighboring SSIDs and interferes with the frequencies that Bluetooth tries to operate at between the narrow gaps in 20MHz wide channels 1,6,11

Last edited:

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
People really shouldn't enable 2.4GHz 40MHz channel width. All it does it overlap with neighboring SSIDs and interferes with the frequencies that Bluetooth tries to operate at between the narrow gaps in 20MHz wide channels 1,6,11
agree or at least understand at 2.4GHz 40MHz channel width they will be causing greater interference and likely drown out any Thread, Zigbee or BLE networks they may have in their home.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016

Well I think I've fixed my Ruckus 650 issue, instead of doing POE I plugged in an AC adapter and now my phone gets 900Mbps. I don't understand why that's the case when I wasn't getting any power warnings and I even tried manually setting the AP to 802.3at. Of course I get it working right after I purchased and received the EWS377AP... I guess I do a head to head test, although I'll probably keep the Ruckus in terms of known reliability.

Amazon has a fairly liberal return policy if it doesn't meet your expectations. Just make sure it ships and is sold by Amazon when you place the order.
I've seen you mention that it needs to be a V3 to have a bigger heatsink. I received mine (ordered used on Amazon for cheap and it looks brand new and the box seals were unbroken), and it says "Device V3.0" but "Hardware V1.0". I'm assuming it's the proper version.

Reactions: Vesalius

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
I've seen you mention that it needs to be a V3 to have a bigger heatsink. I received mine (ordered used on Amazon for cheap and it looks brand new and the box seals were unbroken), and it says "Device V3.0" but "Hardware V1.0". I'm assuming it's the proper version.
This is the difference between v1,v2 and v3 heat sink. If yours looks like the one on the right, you have a v3. It's also on the label FCC ID.

IMG_0050-1536x1152.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: custom90gt

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Well I finally got around to testing the EnGenius EWS377AP and in the couple of hours of testing, the Ruckus is actually faster, especially at the furthest distances in the house. I set the channels manually on the EWS377AP to the same that the Ruckus was running (verified in wifi analyzer that they were not in use by other devices). One odd part is that on my Samsung S22 Ultra the upload speeds on both the 5g and 2.4g connections is less than the 40Mbps that I should be getting, but the laptop is fine. I'll have to play around with it more, but so far I'm probably going to send it back.

I will say that setup of the EnGenius was super easy with their web client (after I figured out that the instructions had the wrong IP address and username, lol). It is a good AP for the price.

Reactions: Vesalius